Wednesday, February 02, 2011

All about shoes.

I'm not exactly sure how or when, but my little baby is growing up. After that last post, Grandma commented on how tall Elliot has grown and it made me look at him with new eyes. Suddenly, his pants were all too short and his shoes didn't fit. When did that happen? How can it be that I see him every day -- every minute of every day -- and I don't notice when he is literally bursting out of his clothes?

Elliot is turning 4 next week, and he has never had his own shoes. I had saved bins and bins of Owen's clothes and Elliot has been slowly making his way through all the hand me downs. But something else happened in the last year, too. Owen's hand me downs are no longer hospitable for other wearers. Suddenly when Owen grows out of his things, they are dilapidated and torn and stained beyond repair. And the shoes never last even for Owen to grow out of them it seems. So the hand me down supply is sadly dwindling. Today I pulled out the last clothing bin and found that Elliot totally and completely fits into all the pants. Yay! But the shoes were in a sorry state and I confess to being a little ashamed I didn't notice Elliot has been too big for those shoes for some time.

So, I took Elliot shoe shopping today. Just him and me. For the first time, Elliot got his foot measured and got to pick his very own brand new pair of shoes. I assure you that the very first pair he liked was the most splendid running shoe I have ever seen. He has yet to take them off, and may never (except for bath time). He loves them. I love them. THEY ARE SIZE 12!!!!!!!!

He literally bounced and ran all over the store in them, and now I fear that buying him good fitting running shoes is going to force me to run more too since he is MUCH faster now that his shoes fit.

If you don't believe me, come over and play with him for a day and see if you don't lose few pounds!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning!! So, I wasn't imagining his increased height and neither was it trick photography. The odd thing is we just saw him and though I had a sense that he is growing, it didn't impact me until your Palomar Mountain pictures. Size 12, wow! I can hardly wait to see those shoes in action!! :-) GG

Anonymous said...

Look out world - Elliot is on the (turbo) move! Love to all - K

Anonymous said...

That's our Elliot! I should show up and run with him. I'd probably be in better shape and better health! Elliot reminds me of Jeff, knowing that his shoes were too short didn't seem to register in his brain. I told someone that that part of his brain never developed! One time when I went to get him some shoes he had jumped a couple sizes! He had never complained! Wait til he becomes a young teenager. I also, remember looking UP at Jeff and saying, with shock in my voice, "Jeff, when did you get so tall!" Good times are yet to come!~ :-)

Aunt Carol

HT said...

You got away with the same shoes for 4 years! Kudos! I thought that would work for me with boys 2 years apart, but Declan has an extra wide foot, and Duncan a "normal" one, so that never worked. At their 3 & 5 year check up Declan was a 1/2 pound heavier than his brother! The space has closed in and now I guess I'll have to buy them their own stuff! It's so crazy how fast these not so little guys are growing! Loved your post...