Then, after Grandma Fran flew home on Saturday morning, we ran off to the
And then, to top off our exciting weekend, on Memorial Day we were visited by royalty!!!!!
Well, more accurately... I was in the kitchen making dinner and everybody else was in our backyard playing. Owen was setting out the croquet game and fun was being had by all until suddenly I heard Kirsten say "EVERYBODY INSIDE NOW!!!!!!" A gigantic swarm of bees descended on our backyard and proceeded to make their new residence in our tree:
Yikes!
It took them a while to settle down around the Queen, who was obviously tired of flying and just felt like resting for a little while in our yard. Now that they've settled, the swarm looks a little less menacing. But still, I wasn't expecting a visit from the Queen! I certainly would have tidied up the place if I'd known!!!
I sincerely hope they only plan on staying a few nights. As it is now, I'm afraid to play in our yard because Owen's T-ball, and soccer and basketball all manage to go into the bushes and trees at some point. I do not want to upset this crowd!!!!!! If they aren't on their way by tomorrow ( I understand they rest for up to 48 hours and then head out again...?) then I think a call to Animal Control may be necessary.
Happy Memorial Day!
5 comments:
Well, who is to know, maybe Owen will be ready to help Uncle Bill in the bee yards when you come to visit!!! Bill said that they usually don't stay too long so possibly they are gone by now!!!
The muffins sounded so good. Too bad we weren't there to enjoy a few!!
Aunt Carol
Wooow! I wonder how close you got to the hive to take that great picture! That would make me so nervous!
You might consider that there could a SWEET side to the arrival of your visitors, but then that would probably take longer then 48 hours to get production rolling. Great shot of the swarm!
A bit of wisdom from Grandpa G:
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay.
A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.
GG
Animal control will tell you to call a service (they don't actually seem to do anything, in my experience). Here, this may help:
"Springtime is almost here! Take care of that beehive now! I am a beekeeper. I remove bee swarms and bee hives. I do live bee removal. I don't use chemicals. I remove Bees, Honey and Wax. I charge $175 for most jobs. Call Pete for Honeybee
Rescue @ 619-286-7258.
Location: San Diego area"
Second comment! I brought Uncle Bill down to show him of your royalty. He always knows how to deflate a guy--he said that really isn't that large of a swarm!!! I told him for you it WAS!!!
It would be great for Owen to watch that beekeeper remove the bees. He probably would never forget it!!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment