Tuesday, June 26, 2007

and so it begins

I have loved telling people how easy it is with two kids. SOOOO much easier than I thought it would be because Elliot is such a doll and hangs out so easily while I tend to the business of life... However, the other day all that changed. Elliot now rolls over. YAY! One day he couldn't do it. Now he can. Not only can he do it, he does it with reckless abandon and total confidence.

Which means that now I can no longer do the following:

1. leave him propped on the couch while I do any number of things (get the laundry, wash the dishes, go to the bathroom, etc....)
2. change his diaper without the squirmy worm doing a flip dance on the changing table
3. put him in his crib all wrapped up like a burrito in his blanket (up to a few days ago this had been our sure fire way of getting him to sleep without waking up) NOW however, the first thing he wants to do is splay his arms out and well, you know, ROLL OVER.
4. strap him into his car seat despite his protestations. he has figured out that a simple twist and roll can effectively cancel my ability to strap him in quickly and so he gets just that many more seconds of total freedom before he's tortured by the car seat..... smart kid.

Still, new challenges bring new joys of course. By that I mean he's on his way to crawling!!!! Aaaaaaaaaagh.
Anyway, here's a picture of Owen and me playing a game called "Where's Elliot?" on Owen's bed with all his stuffed animals..... both Owen and Elliot thinks it's a pretty funny game. I guess it helps if you're under the age of 4....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Elliot and he is the cutest in the bunch. Not only is he cute, he makes all kinds of wonderful sounds and you don't need add the batteries. He rolls by himself, he smile automatically and all in all is the greatest of bargains. Love you, Elliot.

GG

Anonymous said...

I have two words for you- baby shackles. I think we have a set of Duncan's that you could use. Good luck busy Mama! xo- ht

Jess said...

Lisel--- you got shafted. The "potted plant" phase should definitely last LONGER! Elliot has amazing motor skills! Orli didn't roll over (intentionally) until about last month. I didn't realize how lucky I was to have a late bloomer until I tried to change her diaper and she kept twisting...twisting...flipping...wriggling...