Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Puzzler



I've mentioned before how Owen likes puzzles? Well, I really mean it. I don't mean just any old puzzle aimed at 4 year-olds either. Owen is surprisingly good at the hard ones - 500 piece, 750 piece. He does quite a bit of it himself and in fact gets more than a little irritated when Paul or I feel the impulse to put a piece in place. Sometimes he wants me to find the pieces for him-- for instance I'll find a pile of red pieces and he'll figure out how they go together to make the barn, that sort of thing. But usually he'll find the pieces and put them all together on his own. It's not the fastest way to work, but it's so much fun!

Our favorites are Jane Wooster Scott and Linda Nelson Stocks.... there is nothing better than making a cup of tea and sitting down to put together a really cool puzzle. It's quite meditative and relaxing, and Owen and I get a good chat, or sing some fun songs while we're keeping busy. Lately we've been snatching minutes here and there to work.... since Elliot wants to "help" too we can really only work on it when he's napping. What that means is our kitchen table/dining table has been covered by puzzles-in-progress for the past few weeks.... we end up just putting placemats over the puzzle and eating right on top of it. Anyway, here are a few we've done in the past month:



And here's what our table looks like this morning:





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew puzzles were a favorite and that Owen has a special knack in putting them together, BUT I had no idea of the degree of his speed and concentration! This is truly an amazing ability. I love the pictures. We had our meal a week ago with the place mats over the barn puzzle partially completed - now I get it. This is commonplace! GG

Anonymous said...

Oh, my word!!!! Owen, you need to teach me a few things! Will you come and help me learn more about how to put puzzles together and what you do to find the right peice???!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

When Lisel and Kirsten were very little, Lisel LOVED to put puzzles together with her dad. Clearly it runs in the family. First, father and daughter, now mother and son. What a lovely tradition! Keep it up! Nana