Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hand Me Downs

I use to live on hand-me-downs. As a younger sister, I would always get Kirsten's clothes to wear when she was through with them (until I got taller than her and then I mostly just borrowed her jewelry). It always frustrated me that I didn't get my own things.

But now, with kids of my own, I feel very differently about them. It's hard to capture a picture of these boys... all of my pictures of Elliot end up looking like this: but the other day I really wanted to show you both of them. Owen was wearing a hand me down from his cousins ( he loves knowing that his t-shirts belonged to his cousins!!!) and one of Paul's old hats. Elliot was wearing all of Owen's old clothes.... It's not that they are vintage or special in any way except that when I look at them I see the history of the clothes, and I sense the connections between past and present, I'm reminded of Owen's babyhood and think of the cousins gettting bigger and bigger and know that some day my two boys will be too big for these clothes too.... and then I'll pass them on to someone else.
There's so much story in a t-shirt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, those are two darling boys whether they are in hand me downs or not. Actually our kids grew up in hand-me-downs and I hope they aren't any worse for it. Now, they love to go to Salvation Army like Evan and clothe themselves that way. It is a wonderful way to go. Peggy got me a skirt there and I have gotten lots of compliments on it!!! It looks like Elliot is too fast of a mover for a real picture that includes all of him. Owen is absolutely gorgeous!! Have a great day!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate the difficulty in getting the exact pose you are aiming for with Elliot. He is a mover, but chances are you are getting a big grin as he is moving on! I, too, had a number of hand-me-downs from good friends, but being the oldest, my mother often reminded me that if I keep my clothes looking nice they would still be nice looking for Carol. Usually, I took it to heart and tried not to be too abusive of especially some of my prettiest dresses. So, there you go, Carol, I really was looking out for you some of the time. Love you boys very much. GG