Today I picked up Owen from school and we had the usual exchange:
Me: How was school?
Owen: Fine.
Me: Did you have fun?
Owen: Yes.
Me: What did you do?
Owen: I don't remember.
So, I decided to try a different tact and went with a very specific question instead of an open-ended essay question.
Me: Who did you sit next to at snack today?
Well,I hit the jackpot. That question unleashed a barrage of information which I will try to highlight here because it had me giggling in the front seat as he talked on and on in the back seat....
Basically, he usually sits with his friend Conor because they like to make jokes. Today's joke was that one of them would say: "So and so (someone at the table) has a bee (or something else) on their back!" and whoever's name was called had to scream wildly at which point the whole table would erupt in laughter.
I asked Owen who else was at the table and we had the following exchange:
Owen: Just a group of boys who like jokes. Girls don't want to sit at our table because it's too crowded up with boys.
Me: Do girls ever sit at your snack table?
Owen: No, the girls want a fine snack time.
Me: Fine???? What do you mean fine?
Owen: Like, not interrupted. They want to sit and finish their snack and they usually don't like our jokes.
It went on and on, but this was the part I remembered and had to share with you all.
Yes, by the way, Owen is definitely enjoying school more....
4 comments:
How cute is that!!!! That exemplifies the age of Owen! Give him about 10 years and there will be girls at his table and if they don't like the jokes they'll never tell him. They will laugh like crazy and he'll be so impressed!!! That is so cute Owen. I'm so glad you have such good buddies that like to tell jokes also!!
Aunt Carol
Oh,this is rich!! What a throw back to a certain 5 year old back in 1970. You did hit the jackpot, Lisel. I believe I can totally picture the scene - two tables, one "crowded up" with boys giggling up a storm and one with dainty little girls having a "fine snack". That scene makes me laugh - howl, actually! It brings back a flood of memories from a time when Paul was that 5 year old kindergartner. GG
Oh my gosh, I have that SAME conversation with Noah every day! I thought maybe he was just developing a lousy memory, or god forbid was retaining NOTHING he is being taught!
I will have to try some off the wall questions next time. Good idea!
I've noticed that if I use the name of one of Owen's friends, like Conor or Aidan, and ask what they did that day, Owen will go into long extemporaneous paragraphs of all the things they did that day. I learned early on (shades of dealing with Kirsten and Lisel when they were little!!) NEVER to ask outright what Owen did. He is a fount of information for me, and I love that he will share it without realizing he's actually "sharing" information! Oh, the tricks we grandparents get up to!
Hugs,
mom
Post a Comment