Monday, April 20, 2009

Love your Mother (Earth), a post about New Year's Resolutions

Ok, ok, so it's the end of April. I just wanted to say that lately I have been really making strides on accomplishing all those goals I set for myself for this year, and for life, really. Most of them have to do with becoming more green, sustainable and aware of our environment (emotionally, physically, and artistically) and really raising Owen and Elliot to love our planet. And, since it's Earth Week (Earth Day is Wednesday, everybody), I guess I wanted to share how we as a family are working together to live a more wholesome life.

We are a green family in some obvious ways already: we recycle, we have switched to CFL light bulbs, I walk Owen to school whenever possible, we eat organic foods whenever possible, we drive a hybrid vehicle, we eat mostly vegan food, we re-use our cloth grocery bags, we use cloth napkins, I pack low-waste lunches for Owen thanks to the Wrap-N-Mat and the Laptop Lunch.

All those choices have been easy and have been fully incorporated into our life for awhile now. This is not to gloat over anybody or anything, just to show you how easy it actually is to make small changes: seriously, if we can do it, so can you.

However right on my New Year's Resolution list are three glaring omissions that kind of negate all the good work we do. They are: hang a clothesline to reduce electric consumption (we already have an energy saving appliance, but the sun uses even less energy), plant an organic garden to raise our own vegetables, and start a compost bin to collect all the peelings, rinds, seeds and such of all the produce we eat...

Well, take a look at what we accomplished this past weekend on the hottest day of the year: our first family garden. All of us out there digging, planting, sweating and dreaming about what might happen in this little plot. It was truly one of the best experiences making this dream come true. Today after school, Owen came home and watered the garden a little and carefully inspected each little square inch to see if the growing had started. He is so excited about it, and so am I! I am no green thumb, so I will be asking you all for advice as we go along, I'm sure. But the wonderful thing is our family is learning about it together.

Also, I hung a load of clothes on the line today. Elliot helped by chasing after me with clothespins and playing hide and seek in the sheets hanging on the line.

It's so funny how you can think about doing things and never actually get to them, and then once you actually accomplish them you wonder why you didn't do this always.

Next up: compost, compost, compost!!!!!!

This whole process had made me feel so happy and content, like I am actually doing something good with my life and with my family.

Those of you out in computer-land, I'd love to hear what you are doing to love your Mother Earth this week, and for always. Let's celebrate the good stuff we are doing instead of dwelling on all that bad news! Please post in the comments!

And by the way, check out Simple Mom's post today about 40 ways to Go Greener at Home. More inspiration!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool to have a gardening project together!!! I'm with you on the composting!!! I've threatened for years to order on of those expensive composters!! I drool over them every time I get a gardening catalog!!! One of these times there is going to be one setting in my back yard. I grew up on gardening and hanging out wash but I have to admit that it seems like I never have time to hang much wash out!! Shame on me, right??? Have fun and enjoy the good good food from it!! You can't beat going out and gathering in food and be eating it in less than a hour!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

So...hanging clothes out to dry, planting a garden, and thinking of composting! I can identify with the fun of it. I use to be an avid participant in all of these endeavors. I often hung clothes out to dry until there was freezing weather (did you know that there is such a thing as freeze dried clothes?? Composting is really great fun as well (I suppose living in town you will have to figure out a way to avoid (or at least control) the smells and the varmints). I like the layout of the "garden". The stepping stones are attractive and practical. May your garden bear much friut (or vegetables). GG

Anonymous said...

This is completely awesome! You guys are to be commended for everything you do. Puts the rest of us to shame. Can't wait to taste the yummy food out of that garden!

Kirstie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Congratulations on getting started. I started hanging my clothes a few months ago and have come to love the smell and the ritual of it. I still use my dryer now and then but now that the weather is getting warmer (and drier), I can dry outdoors more often. Enjoy!

I am such a gardening novice that I become crippled with indecision at the nursery. But today is my day to buckle down and begin buying and planting. And composting? I bow to you and look forward to hearing/seeing how you accomplish that.

Thanks also for sharing about the portable bento boxes. My friend has one and I keep meaning to ask her where she bought it - now I know!

Julie (Jacobs) Ludlum