Before we get into the why of things, I have another why not for you. Yesterday Owen had a delicious Turkey and Jam sandwich for lunch. Hey, at least he's not picky!!!!!
Now, onto the Why. Owen is almost 4 he has the most amazing Why questions in his brain. Like when he asked me : "Why does the sky go up and up and up?" Cool question!
I realize that curiosity is the sign of a bright and inquisitive mind, BUT sometimes it's a little too much for me. By the end of the day I find myself getting exasperated and saying things like "Because I said so, that's why" or "It's just the way things are!!!!" Neither of which are very acceptable answers for Owen ( nor should they be). But let me give you an example of what my days are like lately...
A few days ago we were driving home from a friend's house. Here's our transcript:
car starts
Elliot: whimper
Owen: Why are we going home?
Me: Elliot's getting tired and --
Elliot: Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! ( this continues under conversation)
Owen: Mommy! Why are there still people at the party?
Me: Some people are staying later.
Elliot: WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Owen: Why are they staying later?
Me: Some people got there later and so they are staying a longer time to be with their friends.
Owen: Why?
Elliot: WAHHHHH. WAHHHHH. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Me: Do you like to spend time with your friends?
Owen: Yes.
Me: So do these other people.
Owen: Why?
Elliot: WAAAAAH!
Me: I just told you why.
Owen: Why did Karem ( our friend who was hosting the birthday party) say "Oh no!" ?
Elliot: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
Me: WHAT?
Owen: Whay did Karem say "Oh no"!?
Me: I don't know
Owen: Why?
Me: Because I didn't hear her say it, so I don't know what she was saying it for.
Elliot: WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Owen: Why is Elliot crying?
Me: What?
Owen: I SAID WHY IS ELLIOT CRYING?
ELLIOT: WAH!WAH!WAH!WAH!WAH!
ME: I don't think he likes his car seat.
Owen: Why?
Me: Maybe he's feeling cramped back there?
Owen: Why?
ELLIOT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Me: WHAT?
Owen: WHY??????
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!
This continued for the entire 20 minute drive home -- a non-stop cacophony of a wailing child and a curious child. By the time I got home I couldn't even formulate a coherent thought in my head let alone answer any of Owen's questions....
3 comments:
We've been doing a lot of this as well. I'm attempting to follow the Waldorf advice of turning around the question. "What do you think?" or "I wonder that too!" or something ridiculous like, "maybe a wild monster ate it." This is kinda working except for when she gets pissed off and wants me to tell her. Then I just say, "It's not important to me, if you want to know, you need to find out."
We've only been doing this for a week or so and it's already starting to make a difference. I'm getting frustrated a wee bit less, anyway!
HTH!
Elmer just informed me that this very day, he heard (on the radio)4 year olds ask 460 questions a day!! Looks like Owen is keeping up with the best of them. The turkey and jam sandwich, however; is over the top. G&GG
Oh, you sound like such a good mom!! You described the ride home perfectly!!!
It looks like Paul is truly enjoying his boys. Praise God for daddies that love their boys enough to spend quality time with them!!
Owen is going to get so bright with all of those questions and having someone that truly tries to answer them.
Have a great day!!!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment