Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Week of Milestones


Well, we've been ridiculously busy around here.

As of last Saturday, I am officially obligated to mark the 35-44 yr. old age bracket on forms and questionnaires. Gulp. In celebration, I threw myself a party!!!!!! Catered Cuban food, Mix-your-own Mojitos, Wine, and an intimate group of friends and family providing fantastic company... it was a lovely evening and made me extremely grateful for the friends and family I have around me on this journey here on earth. Not to get too nostalgic, but I never would have thought even 5 or 10 years ago that my life would lead me to where I am today: a loving and supportive husband, two wonderfully amazing children and family and friends with whom I love to spend my days. 35 is awesome so far!!!!!!! ( yeah, it's only been a week but I'm optimistic).


Then on the 4th of July I did something I never thought I'd do..... I ran my first 10k race!!!! I've been training with a running club for the past few months as a way to carve out time for myself and my own health and fitness. Anyway, race day came up faster than I could anticipate and although it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes, I can hardly believe that I ran the whole thing! A special thanks to my sister Kirsten for running with me and keeping me motivated!!!! Here we are very sweaty but thrilled at the end of the race:


For the patriotic part of the day we indulged in a dessert party and then watched the fireworks. Owen got to stay up soooo late!!!! He kept falling asleep while the fireworks were going off, but he wouldn't admit that he was tired....


And then the BIG day yesterday: 7/7/07. A lucky day for Owen to turn 4!!!!!!!!! And what a four year old he is... funny, smart, creative, caring, thoughtful, and just plain fun to be around. I'm so proud of him. We threw him a party at our neighborhood park and we spent the entire day just playing and celebrating... Owen had a blast helping plan the whole thing: he picked out the invitations and the cake design ( which turned out much better than it had any right to considering I've decorated cakes exactly twice in my life)....




Oh, and Elliot has definitely turned a corner on the whole sleep thing. He now sleeps all night in his crib with only 1 or 2 wake-ups (usually around 2am and then again around 5 or 6am....) Not bad!!!! Of course, there is always room for improvement! The other thing is that he has started squealing. Not in an "Oh isn't that cute" kind of way but more like the kind of squeal that you hear in the aisles of the supermarket and think to yourself "Thank goodness that's not my kid!" Oh well... Hopefully it's just a phase where he is exploring his growing vocal range and not that he's practicing for the most cringe-inducing complaint sound EVER...... I know that sounds cold-hearted talking that way about my own child, but hey it's my blog I can say what I want!!!!!


Anyway, as you can see we've been busy! Now I have time to upload some more pictures so I'll post that link when I get the chance.....




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

INDEED it has been a very big week for you and you carried it off very well. Owen was a gracious host at his party. I observed him several times making sure everyone was included and having fun. He even came along side me to help search for a missing football, saying, "I will help you find the football, Grandma." It was a couple of trips around park and he stayed the course with me. Thank you for helping me, Owen.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Lisel, and congratulations on the 10K run. That's impressive!

GG

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Lisel, you really do a good job letting us all know what is going on at the Paul Getz residence!! What fun. Those boys are gorgeous. What parties! I wish I could have been there.

I just got back from spending a couple of days with our newest little girl, Summer Elizabeth Waibel! She could run anyone a good race for beauty!! Of course, I'm her grandma, but I think all who have laid eyes on this little girl would have to say she is gorgeous!!!

I'm going to miss her a bunch but than my place is being a helpmate to my beloved, so home I came. Only to be back in two weeks at Lisa's this time--staying with 4 active kids while their parents have a little honeymoon!! You might say a prayer for me on this one!! I love them to death, though, so how could much go wrong???

Love you,
Aunt Carol