Monday, February 11, 2008

February 11 - A Birthday Story

On February 10th, 2007 just before dinnertime my water broke. I had made vegetarian chili in the slow cooker (for some reason that sticks in my memory very clearly).

The amniotic fluid was just a trickle at first so I wasn't sure if it was the real thing or not... I had been having mild contractions for weeks already and had been feeling the anticipation for so long that it was hard to get too excited yet. So we ate our dinner and after dinner I stood up to a gush. Yes, it was really happening. We called the midwife, we called Aunt Kirsten, we got Owen's bag and my bag and started getting things set around the house all the while trying not to get too excited. The jangling nerves were a little overwhelming, though, and after a while we decided to head into the birth center. We took Owen to spend the night with Aunt Kirsten and Uncle Joe and by 8 o'clock or so we were checking into the Birth Center and calling Laurie, our doula. My contractions were pretty minor at this point, but quickly sped up and by 10 I was in the shower with the hot water streaming over my back. Things are a blur after that but I know I spent a considerable amount of time in the birthing tub which was the MOST AMAZING THING EVER, and then finally, finally Midwife Hope (yes, that was her name) said I was fully dilated and I started to push. Unbearable pain, screaming, grunting, and the phrase "JUST GET HIM OUT OF ME!!!!!!" followed and then at 1:30 in the morning on February 11th, Elliot was born.
And I know it happens all the time, every day, all over the world but I'm still amazed that he made it here in one piece. We love you Elliot! Happy 1st birthday!


Here is a link to the complete birthday set.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...And praise God we have a little Elliot that charms our soul so often!! It seems God gave him ability to climb up a wall very much like his dad that could climb up the smooth side of a dresser! Who is to know---his climbing ability might be a quality that he needs to get a job some day. I think his cousin Julie could identify with him big time. She knew how to get on top of the cupboards and walk them around until she got to the one the stored he favorite things. Would you believe that she was able to get stuff out of the highest cupboard we owned? :-) Happy Birthday, Elliot!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

We shall never forget the Birthday event on 02/11/07 and all that led up to Elliot's birth. It was pure delight to just hold him and admire his perfect little body that first morning. We also remember how Owen came for his first visit with Elliot and how from the beginning he demonstrated his big brother love for Elliot even though being a bit shy regarding showing his emotions at the very first. Happy Birthday, Elliot. And thank you, Owen, for being the delightful person that you are. We love you both. GG

Anonymous said...

We shall never forget the Birthday event on 02/11/07 and all that led up to Elliot's birth. It was pure delight to just hold him and admire his perfect little body that first morning. We also remember how Owen came for his first visit with Elliot and how from the beginning he demonstrated his big brother love for Elliot even though being a bit shy regarding showing his emotions at the very first. Happy Birthday, Elliot. And thank you, Owen, for being the delightful person that you are. We love you both. GG