Early on in Kindergarten when I was asking him how his class was going and who his friends were, Owen would tell me a little about the kids he hung out with and he mentioned one girl who he thought was "bossy". Well, the other day we were chatting and he talked about all his friends and he mentioned this same girl again. This time, however, he was quite convinced she was his best friend and spoke very admiringly of her. -- I'm not trying to imply anything about this except a little passing thought that I hope he always admires (and respects) strong-minded girls.
In other social awareness news, Owen is developing his inner goofball to an alarming degree at school. When we go to school in the morning and he sees his friends, Owen does a little pratfall comedy routine where he trips over his backpack or "accidentally" runs into the wall or the table or something. Then he rolls his eyes and says something to his backpack like "Hey you, backpack! Don't fall over anymore!!!!!!!" His friends watch him and some of them smile or laugh, some of them ignore him, but I've seen a couple of them wait until he does something else and then try the same thing on their own. Future class clown? I don't know.
My friend who posts here recently had a post about nurturing her boys' inner dorkiness, and I couldn't agree more.... it's not always cool to be cool. There is an awkard sweetness to 5 year olds.... I love Owen's goofiness and I hope he doesn't feel the need to stifle it any time soon.
6 comments:
I see this behavior as quite age appropriate over-all. I will also submit that there may be some genes in there that bring into full bloom this age appropriate tendency. I find it delightful and I agree that we should very much enjoy Owen to the full. He is a great young man and his potential is huge. We love you,Owen.
Yeah, it's really interesting to see them trying new tactics and changing their opinion (on their own, based on other's opinions) of the other kids around them.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall in my son's room since I only see him interact with them when they are all flying out at the end of the day.
All the world's a stage. Have fun!!!
love
Dzia Dzia
Owen, you couldn't be cuter in my books!!!! I'm so glad you adjusted to school and are enjoying it!! I loved the picture mom took of you!!! It shows you are still the same sweet precious little boy we all love so much!!! Have a great day!!!!!
Aunt Carol
I think Owen is pretty special and has learned how to play to the crowd in order to have fun! His little brother has the same "hamminess" in him. Seems to have taken after a couple of people I know - Lisel and Paul?! Keep having fun Owen and be as dorky as you want to be! You are totally cool to me.
Love, Aunt Kirstie
Love it! I do see it has been a while since your last post - you must really be busy with your new show :)
Karen
Post a Comment