Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hold me!


In the past few weeks, Elliot's vocabulary has just exploded. And, Mr. Precocious has discovered that certain phrases elicit certain responses from me.

His (and my) favorite: When he wants something from me -- like he wants to get down from his high chair or wants me to carry him somewhere -- he reaches for me and says plaintively "Hold me!!!" and then gives me a huge koala bear hug around the neck. It melts my heart every time, even when I carry him all the way home from the park because every time I suggest he get down and walk he looks at me with those huge eyes and pleads his case "Hold me!!!!!" Hug. Of course I will.

He also has turned the phrase "I do it!" into his personal mantra. Except when Elliot says it it's more like "I DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I don't even think I'm using enough exclamation points to really show you how emphatic he is about it. This phrase applies to absolutely everything. Cutting onions for dinner, brushing his teeth, peeing in the toilet, locking the car door, using the scissors, playing the guitar, trimming his nails, setting the dishwasher buttons, etc. He shows an alarming disregard for how dangerous the task might be and he is so vehemently committed to following through I sometimes have to literally pry him from the task. Sometimes I don't win.

He has taken to collecting coins in his pocket. Whenever he finds one, he yells with glee "Pemmy!" ( Penny, or dime, or quarter, they are all pemmy to Elliot) and then carefully places it in his pocket. Then he stamps his feet to hear the jingling of coins in his pants and is totally and completely happy.



And even Owen was impressed when Elliot "accidentally" messed up something Owen was playing with and Elliot immediately turned to Owen and said"I sorry, Owee".

He is a little parrot repeating things back to us and finding new ways to combine his words. "Baby-drinky-table!" he said today at lunch when he wanted his milk next to his plate. Then, he broke into a huge grin when he realized that I actually understood him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what Elliot--we all would like to say Hold ME at times!!! I love to be held and hugged by my husband and I love hugs from my grandkids (My little Summer will kiss me no what, and whenever I ask! What a precious dolly!) I especially love to be hugged my Jesus--my best friend ever! I can tell you know that your mommy loves you mightily!!!!

I love all of the coins jingling in your pocket. You really are a little man! You are growing up! To tell Owen you were sorry was ever so precious! I hope you keep that sweet little spirit! We love you Elliot!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I love it!! All of it, the little boy, the dharm, the undaunted effort and determination to accomplish he task (Dear Lord, keep him safe!!), the ever expanding vocabulary and successfully getting his point across.

Mounting the dolphin demonstrates the point. No doubt it was accomplished with minimal effort. I can see it in my mind.

I am also impressed that Elliot so willing admitted his blame in messing up Owen's project. That is maturity that I can learn from.

What a delightful boy. GG

Anonymous said...

So is Elliot going to follow Owen and tell Uncle Joe to drive with two hands on the wheel? Can't wait to see you guys finally. We miss yah!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for typo! "dharm" should read "charm",and "he task" should be "his task". Sigh! GG

Anonymous said...

What a charmer this boy is going to be - heck, he already is! He can wrap anyone around his pinkie by just imploringly gazing at someone with those beautiful blue eyes. What a boy!!!

Hugs, Mom