Thursday, March 12, 2009

There are days...

There are days when I feel like I totally missed the boat on so many things: missed opportunities to truly teach my children, missed opportunities to drink more water, chances to say what I really mean, missed chances to exercise, missed moments when I could have told someone how much they mean to me, moments amid moments amid moments of time when I feel guilty for not doing more or being more.

And then there are days like today where everyone (including me) gets the chance to do exactly what they want.

Start with a moment caught before school, between getting dressed and brushing teeth, where it is simply time to sit and read, right in front of the bathroom door:




Then add a cloudy, threatening rain kind of morning and a luxuriously slow visit to the zoo with my littlest monkey:


Mix in an ideal afternoon of one-on-one time with Owen -- which for him includes lots of counting and math games and for me includes finally accomplishing just a few more rows on my current knitting project:





Finally, having home-made vegetable soup and fresh baked bread for dinner.

I think we are all happy with the way this day turned out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is adorable. Owen and Elliot both seem to be totally absorbed in their books and no doubt Owen is reading the words as well as the pictures. (You are a very good reader as well as a very good mathematician, Owen.). Elliot definitely takes the prize for "best looks" in the monkey picture. Lisel, I am glad to know that you can take time to knit in spite of your busy schedule and, by-the-way, I don't see you "missing moments". You do a fantastic job of parenting. We love you all! GG

Anonymous said...

Boy, Lisel, I have been thinking some of the same thoughts!! I need to tell people more what they mean to me and to take more time for them etc. You put it all in words better than I could. The pictures are adorable!! It makes you just want to grab those boys and hug them!!!! What a studious little boy that Owen is and Elliot just keeps getting cuter! Thanks for the post!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! The boys just get more and more adorable each day - who would think it even possible, since they are already adorable to the max?

Love the picture of the boys with their books! What a great beginning to love reading forever! You and Paul are such extraordinary parents. You should be so proud of all you DO do and have done. Doesn't seem to me you miss too many moments!

Hugs, Mom

TheTamayos said...

Lovely!