Monday, April 13, 2009

Togetherness

Owen and Elliot and I have been spending a lot of time together lately. A LOT. Paul has been working late most nights -- which means he doesn't get home until after the kids are already in bed. And last week Owen was on Spring Break so I've been enmeshed in the busy-ness of almost single parenting.

It's not always fun. Sometimes it's downright painful. But there are some good things to glean from our experiences:

1. Despite sometimes singly shouldering the burden of parenting, I am so grateful to know that I am NOT a single parent and eventually Paul will have some relief from his current project and we will feel more like a co-parenting team.

2. Children are only 2 once.

3. What follows: children only get their 2 yr. molars once.

4. I can see some magical glimpses into the not-too distant future where the boys will be busy playing and just being -- I can calmly and peacefully chop vegetables for dinner without waving a sharp knife around the kitchen chasing children off furniture and away from pulling cat tails and preventing the mysterious spread of colored markers stains on our couch.
5. Books are truly the answer to all of life's problems. Squabbling brothers? Read a book. Tired? Read a book. Cranky from tooth pain or just bouncing off the walls? Read a good book. Preferably together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is as precious as it gets!!! Who would ever guess that that they could cause even a ounce of exasperation! You are so right--at least you know when Paul finishes this project he will be around again and he will love you and the boys even more than before because he is so deprived. I think Margo could empathize with you. She has a not quite 2 year old and a 3 1/2 month old and Jeff is working on his doctorate. They agreed together that this was the time to do it if he really wanted to get his doctorate. What long hours they are when he goes right to the library after work and stays late to do all of that horrible studying. (It makes my head hurt to think of it.) Margo does so well though, like you! Enjoy those little dolls!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

A delightful team, I'd say! It is great that you can see the the magnificent future in these 2 very special young lad! What potential they have. And what a delight to see such bonding. Grandpa and Grandma love you, Owen and Elliot. GG

TheTamayos said...

They look like twins! Except in the 2nd picture when I can see Elliot's legs are shorter :) We love books too!

Elaine said...

Mark has an out of town gig next month for four days and I'm not so very much looking forward to it. BUT, I will say, that when the girls were younger, it was so effing HARD when he went away. Now it's just a little hard. I know I can make it. By the time they're both in school, I'm totally going to be fine with it. At least, that's what I keep telling myself...

Anonymous said...

These are the precious times...savor them. There will be more, but these....ahhhhh!

dzia dzia