Well, we had quite a time on Thursday! I wanted to do something special for Elliot while Paul and Owen were away (at work and school, respectively), and since we weren't having his party until Saturday, I chose a surprise location that I felt 110% confident that Elliot would love.
The Firehouse Museum! He wanted to dress in his Fireman costume that day (as he does several times during the week and sometimes several times during the day), so I took him on our outing dressed for the part -- and he could not have been more pleased with the excursion. This costume, by the way, was made by Paul's Mom (with a little help from Owen) as a Christmas gift for Elliot. We go everywhere in that costume -- so much so that I don't even think twice about how unusual it might be for him to be wearing a "costume" until I realize people are smiling at us in a particularly appreciative way and commenting on the adorable miniature fireman. To him, and to me, it is more like his daily uniform. And all the positive reinforcement he gets from all those strangers smiling and waving at him make his already natural charm even more winning..... what a kid.
Fireman Greg gave us a personal tour of the museum and Elliot had this smile on his face the entire time:
After the museum we went to his favorite spot for lunch (The Naked Cafe) for a large bowl of blueberry oatmeal and a blackberry-banana smoothie. Then, after a quick change of costume, we picked up Owen from his Thursday half-day at school and headed over to the T-Ball fields for a game of T-Ball 3-year-old style.
Last year Elliot spent many, many hours watching longingly from the sideline as Owen practiced and played games at this field.... When Spring Ball registration began, Owen decided not to play T-Ball this year, and I was thinking how Elliot would miss it more than Owen....
Since it was the middle of the week and early enough in the day, we went to the fields with our own equipment. The field was empty, so I let Elliot get on the field and use the real bat, the real ball, the real t-ball stand and run the real bases. It was quite a hit (forgive the bad pun)..... The three of us had such a nice time running around the empty field and catching balls, hitting as hard as we could and pretending to play a real game. Elliot is a natural at this game and I know he finds it hard to decide which he would rather be when he grows up: a strong, brave fireman or a "hitter" for the Cubs. Go CUBS!!!!!!!
We went home and made pizza dough for a birthday dinner, and after dinner we all had ice cream with toppings. I set out a tray of their favorite toppings (like at the frozen yogurt shops): chocolate chips, M&M's, fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mini marshmallows, chopped roasted almonds, sprinkles..... we put candles in and there it was: Elliot = 3.
What a great day we had with my super wonderful, fantastically energetic, strong and clever, loving and lovable, always entertaining and always amazing Elliot.
Then on Saturday we had a party. But that's another post.
4 comments:
What a wonderfully fantastic day for Elliot! It sounds like the perfect menu (both food and otherwise) for a memorable birthday. How fun!! I can't wait to see how Elliot can hit the baseball. I imagine he will figure out a way to be both a major league player and fireman when he grows up! What a cutie pie. :)
Love, Aunt Kirsten
What a super cool day for little Elliot!! I just bet he'll remember it forever and think about what a super cool mom he has! Every part of that day sounded like fun! Happy Birthday Elliot!
Aunt Carol
Now that is a memorable third birthday!! You are a very handsome fireman, Elliot. You look very official standing next to the BIG fire truck (or is it a fire engine? Actually, I have lived all these years and didn't know there was a difference - sad.)
I also have a hunch that you will take to T-Ball like a duck to water. Again the "Cubs" gear is the perfect attire for a good game of T-Ball.
Happy Birthday, Elliot. GG
Those pictures of him smiling from ear to ear are just too precious! Sounds like he had the most perfect day imaginable! You are such a great mom! They are so lucky to have your creativity... and patience!
Nana Liana
Post a Comment