We are trying to settle into days and times with just the two of us. That means a lot of me peeling him off the top of the couch-back before he jumps with abandon onto the cushions, or me pulling him down off the top of the dresser where he's climbed to put a CD into the player. Sometimes I feel like everything he decides to do is an emergency-room visit in the making.
Case in point, last week (before the Labor Day weekend) Elliot went flying into the hammock with his patented dive and tipped over the edge and fell onto the patio (naturally, right at the moment when my back was turned). He was carrying a stick, and when I heard it happen, I turned and all I saw was blood everywhere. I couldn't tell what had happened at first as there were no broken teeth, just a lot of blood in his mouth. I freaked out (in the inside) but on the outside I calmly asked Owen to get me a washcloth while I comforted Elliot.
Eventually, I determined that he must have split his lip or something because I couldn't see anything else that could cause that much damage..... He calmed down after we read some books and the next day the swelling had gone down and his teeth seemed fine and I decided it must have been just a little injury. But WHY did it happen the exact moment I turned my back on him? Seriously, that is enough to make any mother paranoid. Will I ever be able to turn my back in his presence?
Long story short, a few days later I was finally able to really pull back the lip and saw that he had a gigantic gash in his top gum line (he had not been complaining at all, so I decided it wasn't that serious) but it was icky enough that I knew I needed to take him to a dentist to have the official word that I had not made a bad parenting choice by avoiding the emergency room. But, of course, now it was Friday before a 3 day weekend and no one was available. I worried all weekend and finally 8am on Tuesday morning I called my dentist's office to see if he could take a look at Elliot's mouth. Dr. Taylor was on vacation. Turns out the first week back to school must be a great time for a dentist to take a vacation because then I called around to 8 or 10 different pediatric dentists to find someone ANYONE who could look at my boy's mouth and everyone seemed to be gone for the week!
Finally, I made an appointment for Wednesday afternoon. All the while I'm imagining the worst: due to my extreme negligence at emergency parenting would Elliot's gum be permanently damaged? was it too late for sutures? would his permanent teeth come in crooked because I didn't have him looked at right away?
Long story short, he's fine. The dentist agreed it was healing on it's own. The rip was bad, but not too bad, his teeth looked fine and we were able to get some xrays to confirm there was no damage to his roots. For those interested, I did manage to get this gruesome picture of the injury (taken 1 week after the initial rip):
At any rate, Elliot seems undaunted by the damage and continues to fling himself willy-nilly at pieces of furniture and people -- although I have removed the hammock from his reach.
Sigh.
He has been filling his non death-defying moments with enacting Robin Hood for me. Complete with bow and arrow (fashioned by Paul) and an amazing costume handed down by Aunt Janet whose own kids probably wore it while leaping from tree branch to tree branch. Um, isn't that what you're supposed to do in a Robin Hood costume?
As you can see, my days with Owen at school are not at all boring.
5 comments:
Oh my goodness!! Thank the Lord he still has his teeth intact and that the laceration seems to be healing, but please tell Elliot we hope not to see a repeat performance. It makes me hurt to think about it. That Robin Hood outfit looks a bit familiar. It may be the one I made for Luke many years ago. (I can't tell for sure.)
Oh my goodness!! Thank the Lord he still has his teeth intact and that the laceration seems to be healing, but please tell Elliot we hope not to see a repeat performance. It makes me hurt to think about it. That Robin Hood outfit looks a bit familiar. It may be the one I made for Luke many years ago. (I can't tell for sure.)
Oh, Elliot, you are going to cause your mom early gray hair!! There will never be a dull moment when you are around!!! On the bright side, at least you aren't crying around all day long because you miss Owen!! Elliot, I have a sneaky suspicion your personality isn't far removed from your dad's! Hmmmmm... I wonder what you were like as a child, Lisel! I have a feeling you weren't a sit in the corner quietly kind of person! :-) LOL Praise the Lord Elliot is OK! We love you!
Aunt Carol
Less you think it is only boys who do these sort of things, I hasten to remind you that we frequently were in emergency rooms because you and Kirsten would fling yourselves out of trees, over bike handle bars, or off the dome. No amount of vigilance will prevent it! So don't berate yourself for being a bad mom, which you are NOT in any way! It's par for the course in childhood... just sheer exuberance at play!
Nana Liana
Lisel...when Brett was about 5 he came into the house to show me his front tooth. Half of it was gone because he had been playing with a stick and it snapped back in his mouth. He said, "It's all right." and I exclaimed, "No it's not!" A trip to the dentist repaired the tooth. As I recall it was a permanent one. Glad that Elliot didn't have any long lasting damage. By the way, when Brett's 3 year old son Carter sees Elliot on your blog he says, "That's my friend Elliot." Love, Aunt Joan
Post a Comment