I joined Owen on several of his 3rd grade field trips this year, most recently this past week we spent the day at the art museum with his class. I volunteered to drive this time (because of education cut-backs they have very little expense for buses, so the field trip was only possible with parents carpooling).
I have to say, I have not had that much fun in a long time. Sitting in the front seat with three 8 year old boys in the backseat was ridiculously entertaining. I wish I had been recording their conversation because it was randomly quirky, awkward, hilarious and enlightening. Let's just say that I stifled many a giggle while in that driver's seat.
Possibly the best part of the day (aside from the beautiful art hanging on the museum walls, the picnic lunch in the park and the indelible image of 24 kids sprawled on their bellies in the grass, busily sketching wildflowers) was seeing Owen hanging out with his school friends. I know very little about the mysterious life of Owen as a student because he inevitably has short term memory loss whenever I ask him how his school day went. This past Thursday I felt like I was playing "sociologist" observing the behaviors and instincts of the 3rd grade boy in his natural environment.
And I guess that's what struck me most of all. The "natural-ness" of Owen and his friends. It is so hard as an adult (maybe it's just me?) to watch our kids grow up because we carry with us the emotional baggage of years and years of slights and hurts and failed friendships. It's so hard not to read too much into those young relationships.... and it was incredibly reassuring to see that there is an ease to these conversations that is impossible to duplicate or chronicle or even to foster. You really just have to let them be themselves, just like all the best advice has said over the years.
What a great day it was. I feel like I learned more than anybody!

3 comments:
Lisel, take advantage of every opportunity like this! It is so rewarding! I know how you hate to see them grow up so fast but you are in for a fun ride!! ENJOY! I love you!
Aunt Carol
The more involved you are the more memories you create to hold you as they grow older. My head is filled with a billion wonderful things you and Kirsten did and I treasure each one!
Nana Liana
Oh, the memories of yesteryear! On one hand it seems so long ago and on another, only a brief moment past.
I love it that you are building those great memories with your boys. Owen has some great little friends and Owen IS a great little friend. I love the picture. GG
Post a Comment