The boys' school starts at the unbelievable hour of 7:50am which means we have to leave the house at 7:30AM every morning. Now, during the summer months I was lulled into the idea that this early start wouldn't be a problem since the kids' ( Elliot especially) normal wake-up time is 6:30ish.... maybe 7 if they are lollygagging in bed reading.
Then school started and lo and behold it is like trying to maneuver a cruise ship in a tight harbor getting these kids up and ready for school. However, the benefit of the early morning start is that school is out at 2:10 most afternoons, except one day a week when they have a minimum day and school lets out at 11:55am. Yes, still morning!
In September we went to the beach after school and this is pretty much exactly how I felt about that adventure as well.:
The boys have loved boogie boarding and getting comfortable in the ocean this summer. I think next year there will be some surfing lesson!
Also, Elliot tried a few karate classes and seems to have found his perfect sport. We are going to test out some trial-period lessons at a few dojos before we settle on the one that's right for us schedule and price-wise, but boy is this kid excited!
Owen settled on trombone for his 4th grade band instrument, in addition to the piano lessons that he's been taking. Owen is naturally a bookish, puzzle-loving sort of kid so we are looking for ways to increase his physical fitness. Certainly this summer at the beach he was like a fish in the water, and he really enjoyed his swim lessons at the pool. So, the idea now is to get him into a swim team at the local rec center. I'll let you know how that goes!
Much as I dread driving all over the place after school, I see the incredible benefits they get from participating in activites like this. My inclination is to be a homebody and just play at home, so I try not to overschedule them, but if one of them gets an activity, then the other one does too and suddenly we have after school classes 3 days a week. Sigh. I guess this is what I'm faced with for the next ten years or more...
Anyway, that's what we are doing these days.
4 comments:
Wonderful pictures! These activities for the boys are wonderful to help them become well rounded and social. And yes, you'll be doing it for a while, but the end results, the rewards you and they reap will be untold! How marvelous that they are finding things they like so young!
Nana Liana
You guys know how to have fun!! That beach scene looks totally fantastic, especially since it is getting colder here! :-). Ahhh, the trombone! I bet Owen is going to be terrific at it! I know almost nothing about karate but Elliot looks fantastic in his outfit!! How cute is that! Yes, you got busy years ahead but just enjoy! They go by quickly!!
Aunt Carol
You are right. Elliot is a natural in that white garb. And Owen with the trombone in hand is equally impressive. We are amazed at his capability to sail through life's new adventures. I thought Elmer was kidding when he told that Owen's trombone was in the trunk of our car on that last "boy sitting" day. GG
BTW, Elliot's leap is literally over the top. I stand in wonderment!. GG
Post a Comment