Friday, November 16, 2012

Owen and Elliot

Did I tell you that Owen ran for student council at school?




There were other posters (and candidates) with more flash and color -- posters with ribbons and gewgaws and glitter -- but the time and care Owen took with his simple pencil design perfectly captures who Owen is. He carefully labored over the lettering with measuring implements, and then designed a beautiful camera/film strip "frame" for his photo. And then created his own font for the office he was hoping to win. Historian. I love his precise, creative lettering! Then he wrote a speech that he delivered in front of the school with panache ( and a little comedy routine). I was so proud of his hard work and his dedication! He didn't win the office, but he won the admiration and appreciation of many with his efforts. Next year, perhaps?

Meanwhile, Elliot has been really enjoying Kindergarten.... he's made explosive and exponential jumps in his reading and writing. And, as always, he's been finding joy and delight in EVERYTHING. How can you resist smiling at this energy?




Everyone is healthy and happy here! We are looking forward to our Thanksgiving celebrations with more excitement than usual since Paul installed our lovely new gas fireplace.

The weather's getting cooler (even in San Diego!) and evenings like this are becoming more and more frequent:


Happy November everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owen's work was fantastic! Wow, such care and precision. Would have loved to have heard his speech at school... I bet he knocked their socks off! And Elliot, bundle of energy that he is, looks so contented in those pictures. And of course, the relaxing in front of the fireplace is just wonderful! Great pics!
Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Owen, I wish I could have voted!!!!! I know who would have gotten the vote! Great job on your poster! Elliot, you are just plain fun!! You add a lot of energy to the Paul Getz family! It is a good thing God put you there!! I love you guys!!!!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Owen wins in my book! What dedication! The boys are getting so big and life sounds wonderful for you, Lisel. I love being able to stay updated on your blog! xo

Anonymous said...

Owen, your poster is spectacular. Your precision in your lettering is very impressive. No matter who one the election, you are a winner and the work you put into the whole process will not be wasted. What a marvelous experience. We just wish we could have heard your speech . We would guess it was delivered with finesse -Too bad they didn't allow grandparents to vote!
Elliot, we are also so happy to hear about your successes reading and writing. Another thing that amazes us is your fantastic energy and agility. You, too, are a BIG winner. Love you both. GG