Wednesday, May 21, 2008

No Child Left Behind?

Last week I registered Owen for Kindergarten. I'm thrilled that he will be attending our local public school. It's only a 7 minute walk away and we plan to walk to and from school daily (YAY!) plus I'm so excited to be really connected to the community I live in. (Hello PTA!!!) We are all getting very excited.


EXCEPT, when I got the registration materials it had a list of things to do over the summer to help "prepare your child for kindergarten". Here are the skills they want us to practice:


  • writing name with capital and lower case letters

  • cutting with scissors and coloring with crayons (check for proper grip)

  • using bathroom without help

  • sitting and listening to a story

  • counting to ten

  • following two step directions

  • recognizing basic colors and shapes

Ummmm, ok.

Owen counts to 100 easily, (even counting by 10's), drops words like dissipate and photosynthesis into his conversation and regularly plays the following games with me while Elliot takes his afternoon naps: Yahtzee, Buyword, Scrabble, Split, Sorry, Sudoku, Clue, and Chinese Checkers among others. Not to mention all the books he loves to read and have read to him.... ( that's another post entirely).

I'm excited for him to make new friends and all, but will he be bored right out of the starting gate? It makes me understand the draw of homeschooling ( not that I'll be going down that road, but....). Next year should be interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, your little Owen will be a delight but also a real challenge to his teacher. She is going to have a tough time challenging him and yet help all of the others poor little urchins that can't catch on. I believe Brad and Janet ran into the same problem when they put their kids in public school. You may have to continue challenging him at home. He is such a precious little boy with such a wonderful little brain. I pray God will watch over him and bless him!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I, too, am praying that Owen will have teachers that will be able to challenge him in a healthy way. I believe also that Owen's gentle spirit will allow him to be a great asset to the group. I stand amazed and think, "When did he learn all that he knows". Both you and Paul have done a great job in working with him and I see you repeating all these efforts with Elliot. Bless you. GG

HT said...

Why am I not surprised that Lisel "Curve Breaker" Gorell has such an advanced child? xo ht