Monday, July 21, 2008

Vacuuming and Painting

On our long, long afternoon here today (made longer by Elliot's too short nap, of course), I took some advice from 2 very knowledgable sources. First, I took Aunt Carol's advice and put the kids to work. Owen ("Mr. Meticulous") loved the chance to get down on his hand and knees and vacuum those especially hard to reach corners. Elliot helped a lot too although I don't think he realized his vacuum wasn't plugged into anything (I had just given him the extra attachments to play with). Nevertheless, he went at his job with his expected vigor. Thanks, Aunt Carol, for reminding me of this great activity.

Then, I put into action an idea I first noticed on http://www.parenthacks.com/ which is fast becoming an essential parenting website for me. Check it out for tried and truly great ideas on how to deal with a variety of issues, including how to spend a long summer afternoon.


Seriously, for over an hour this afternoon Owen and Elliot methodically painted the entire backyard, every toy, every chair and the entire patio. Both of them doing the same thing, but this time working together beautifully. It was brilliant.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so very very cute. Those little boys are really being diligent with their painting!! I can tell that Owen is very very perfectionistic!!! What a cool way to keep the boys busy and get some house cleaning done with all of that vacuuming that got done!!! I have Max with me right now and he offered to help me dust yesterday. He, too, was very perfectionistic. I think it came from Grandpa Burt Gudeman! Every hair on his head had to lay exactly right!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Lisel, This IS brilliant!!! The water painting is perfect. I can see Owen working diligently vacuuming the corners. He really is very very good in paying attention to fine details. What an outlet! The pictures are adorable. GG

Kiki said...

Fabulous website - thanks for the link. I

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Hey! Great idea! I am so gonna use that! And I have buckets just like those! (Can you say kid's meals at the zoo? For that price, they BETTER give us a paint bucket!)