Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Breaking Bad Habits

It took 12 days, but I think it's all going to be ok.

Every morning at Owen's school, the bell rings at 9:05am and the students line up with their classes on the recess black-top for the morning pledge and song (sometimes God Bless America or sometimes This Land is Your Land) and then the principal makes some school-wide announcements. The Character Trait for the month of September is Civility, and he talks about what that means and how to exhibit that trait. Some chosen students -- usually 4th or 5th graders -- share a poem or a comment and then he dismisses the students to have "A Great Day of Learning" and to follow their teachers back to the classroom. Parents mill around the outside of the black-top area and then give their kids a final wave, hug, kiss and smile as they walk off to class. The whole thing takes about 5 or 6 minutes.

I actually really enjoy staying for the assembly -- I love the ritual of it I guess. However, Owen had gotten into the habit of crying at the assembly. He has been fine once he gets into the classroom, and his teacher told me he was doing well (I think "Awesome!!!" and "Really great!" were her exact words). Owen had just gotten into a bad habit. I think they say that it takes 3 days to break a bad habit? Well, its true. On Friday Paul took him to school. No tears, of course. On Monday we challenged him (ok, bribed him) -- if he didn't cry he would get an extra sticker on his responsibility chart at home and it would be worth a whole 25 cents! and then Tuesday I had our neighbor take him to school.

This morning I walked him to school again and stayed for the morning assembly. Finally, finally, finally FINALLY! this morning when I gave Owen a thumbs up and a smile and said "Have a great day!" he actually smiled and said brightly "I will!!! I'll be good! See you later!"

No tears, no pouts, no crying for Mommy. Ahhh, a new day has dawned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! I have been wondering how school was going and I am so happy the assembly/walking into the school hurdle has been successfully overcome. Owen will do a great job all around in school. Thanks for the update, Lisel. GG

Anonymous said...

That assembly idea is so cool! Owen, I'm so proud of you that you are doing so well in school and that you have quit crying. Hallie is still working on that. Peggy had to do similar things. She warned Hallie that if she is going to continue crying she is going to have daddy ALWAYS take her to school. It seems to work. The charter school she is going to is a bit of a distance from their home. Peggy has chosen to take her two days a week and volunteer until it is time to come back home. The other mornings John drops her off on the way to work and Peggy picks her up. So Lisel, other mothers are going through almost identical things. You are doing a great job of figuring out how to handle it and it seems to be working well! Bless you!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Hooray, Hooray! Thanks for the update. Owen will have a great time. My guess is that Elliot is already enjoying the time.

love,

Dzia Dzia

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Owen is enjoying school at last! He'll make so many new friends, that before you know it, he'll have no recollection of the first days' tears. Keep up the good work, Owen! And you too, Mom.

Love,
Mom