Friday, September 19, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

The days are getting shorter, the air is getting hazier and I see pumpkins and apples and blustery days ahead. I love the arrival of fall! To celebrate the transition, I'd like to share with you a few things that bring all of us happiness right now at the end of summer.



Late Afternoon Art

reading Calvin and Hobbes -- any time, any where.


Homework
"Go for a Color Walk with your child and find items in your neighborhood that are red, blue, green, purple, yellow, brown, orange, black and white. Then draw a picture of each item." Owen and I both loved this homework. One of many fun and interesting projects in his September Homework packet (yes! times have changed and Kindergartners get homework!) See below Owen's red flag, blue fence, green grass, purple flower, yellow fire hydrant, brown roof, orange flower, black truck, and white flower.



Owen's Chore Chart (courtesy of Simple Mom)
Owen absolutely loves this chart. He gets to put the stickers on once he completes his chore, and we have it posted on the refrigerator so that we all can admire and reward Owen for all his hard work.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend the last few days and weeks of summer - what concentration on the artwork! I also love the colors of the neighborhood, even if it is for homework. Great job Owen and congratulations on your first 2 weeks of school. Miss you guys so much! Love, Aunt Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! The talent is oozing out all over the place. The home work sounds like absolute fun AND the drawings are excellent - Super job, Owen. The art class on the patio is darling. Elliot is in there for the whole show - So cute! I also love Owen's "Chores Chart". It helps keep track of all the work you do in a day and that is reason to celebrate. Do the star colors have any significance? GG

Anonymous said...

What fun is that!!! All of the above looks so wonderful!!! I liked that homework assignment myself!!! Too bad I wasn't there to go with you. Wait until you do the leaves project--oh, wait a minute, does California have colored leaves? Julie had to do a seed project and collect a lot of seeds from plants etc. That was really a cool project!! Owen, you and mom are in for a good time. Owen and Elliot, you are so very very cute doing your art work!! That is a priceless picture--I almost think it is worth framing!! You know Owen I love work charts. Julie made one that had buttons that we could move about with velcro on the back. That chart was so the kids could keep tract of whose turn it was to do what! You guys have great parents. Cheers to Mom and Dad!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Great Work!!!!...and this means all of you. What great ideas and follow through. Owen, to you congratulations on all the wonderful things you do, color walk, homework, and chores. Elliot, to you it is clear you also have great talent. Have fun!! It already looks like you are all having fun.

Dzia Dzia

Anonymous said...

Owen is doing such a great job of attending to his chores. I've been babysitting, and he loves to help in the kitchen, setting the table, clearing his dishes after dinner, helping out with his brother. Owen is a really good helper, and it's such fun for him to choose the color of the star for the chore! What a great idea, Lisel!
Mom