Thursday, October 02, 2008

Work

I started working again.

In my line of work that means rehearsals Tuesday through Friday from 6pm-11pm and Saturday and Sunday 12-5pm. Which means that I spend my days running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to manage the affairs of the household (cooking, groceries, bills, cleaning, laundry, school drop-offs, gymnastics classes, etc.) and then I leave for my "job" before Paul gets home from his while my Mom stays with the kids and makes them dinner (which I've prepared but needs to be assembled or heated or what have you). And I'm drinking loads of coffee so that I can stay up until 11pm and be a coherent, articulate, creative collaborator with the other members of the cast and crew.

I'm loving it.

It's crazy, but I really love it. I love thinking intellectually and creatively about something other than the dinner menu or the grocery budget. I love talking with other adults about politics and art. I love having 20 minutes of commute in the car all by myself to listen to NPR or nothing at all (if I so choose). I love that Elliot is finally learning that it's ok when I walk out the door because I will be back in the morning. I love that Owen is excited to come visit my theater and see my sets and costumes and see where I work.

It's crazy busy, but it feels really really good.

I just don't know when I'll memorize my lines...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes a really young person to say how much they enjoy this!!! Wow!! it makes me really really tired! I know how valuable it is to be able to talk to actual adults about adult things! I'm sure you have missed this terribly. You are a very energetic person. Have a great time!

Aunt Carol

HT said...

What's the show? xo

Anonymous said...

That is a huge line up. I pray that your immunity is up for the stress, and that sleep will be factored into your schedule. I know that you will have a great performance. You are very good at your "job". GG

Anonymous said...

Lisel, I'm so delighted to be of help - and best of all, I get to spend time with my two most favorite grandboys! Gee, what a terrible chore! (Kidding...!) :-)

The boys are so much fun, and my inner (not really so "inner") child gets to come out when I play with them. They are just so creative and bright that it's a blessing to be with them. Thanks!

And you are one of the most professional, organized, prepared moms I have ever known. Had I known you when I was a young mom, you would have been a role model for me. How you do it all, with such aplomb and magnificence! Keep up the good work!

Love,
Mom

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Mmmm... good for you. I keep getting this desire to go back into the theater, and the schedule would work most of the time, it usually being opposite my husband's schedule. I think it would work fine for the boys, but I would hate to see my hubby walk out the door every morning and then walk out myself everytime he walked back in.

I want that "adult life" back but fear I would miss my husband too much. sigh.... decisions, decision...