Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fall

Our Halloween pumpkins were put to good use this past week:




pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice bread and toasted pumpkin seeds for snacking.

All I can say is, YUM. I love fall foods.

If only our weather would cool off a little so we wouldn't sweat so much while eating all the soups and roasted vegetables and hot baked goods I've been craving. We've been having a Santa Ana weather condition here which is resulting in some terrible wildfires up in LA, but is leaving us here in San Diego (thankfully) with no fires -- just warm, dry, windy weather.


Which is great for going to the beach between shows (matinee at 2pm, evening at 8pm) like we did last Saturday:


but is terrible for those of us who grew up in climates with four seasons. Although I don't miss the bitter cold and the snow of deep winter, I do miss the stormy autumn days of rain and gloominess that can only be dispelled by hot chocolate and a night by the fire doing a puzzle.




5 comments:

Shama-Lama Mama said...

I know what you mean by the seasons... I grew up in Ohio and am mostly here for the weather. But I miss the smell of fallen leaves, the colors of autumn, sweater weather... and that awesome feeling you get the first time you can roll down your car window in the spring. But its not worth the nasty winter in between.

My fantasy land would have spring, summer, fall, spring, summer, fall...

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Does that all sound oh, so wonderful!!! Probably pumpkin pie even tastes better in cooler weather, though. Well, it must be pumpkin pie time here---we did a very fast trip to Julie's and back on Sunday to celebrate Brian's 30th. We had snow part of the way with cars in the ditches and accidents etc. I wasn't sure how smart we were. Jeff checked the internet and assured me we were about out of it in Lansing. I think the season we are still in is FALL!! :-) I like having seasons though! Summer is a lot of work!


There is no swimming here except in indoor pools!! Elliot has grown just since August! He is just taking on a more grown up look. The beach looks good BUT it makes me shiver thinking about it! :-)

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Looks like the pumpkins made it to the table in all sorts of wonderful forms. Pumpkin is just hard to top in November for some reason. Is it our conditioning or what? I think there is a relationship to seasons and food - Perhaps it's as simple as - "Well, it is finally ready for harvest, so let's indulge in all the great tasting dishes we can put together" kind of thing.

Yes, the weather! It is just odd to be sweating it out in November! Isn't it? The picture on the beach pretty much tells the story. GG

Joe and Kirsten said...

Well, being someone who lived in (and loved) the minimal seasons of San Diego and now lives in Alaska, I have to say you are all very lucky! I would give anything for some warmer weather. We are talking about extremes here, that's for sure! But, it does have it's appeal for some...

As for the pumpkins - great job to Owen and Elliot for being such good helpers! I'm glad you're able to learn such great things from your mom and dad - especially how to have fun no matter what!

Love, Aunt Kirstie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Owen and Elliot are taking after you and Kirsten when you were tykes! I love the fall foods too; they just seem to be more tummy filling!

Hugs,
Mom