For instance, I never thought I would be so excited to get one of those "My Child is Student of the Month at ____ School" bumper stickers. Before I had kids, I smirked at people who displayed such bragging rights on their cars. I'm sure I made fun of them in some small, mean way. But now, I get it. It's parental pride and it's a badge of honor and accomplishment. Owen got recognized at school for "Excellence in Academics and Citizenship" and is justifiably proud of his accomplishment. He was so excited about the bumper sticker and couldn't wait to get home to display it on our car. I admit, I was quite swayed by the power of his innocent pride.
Here is a picture of Owen shaking the Principal's hand at the Recognition Assembly:

And, that's not the only thing: Owen participated in his first ever Science Fair! Owen decided on what his project would be and then we worked on it together. He planned and set up the display board (I helped him with his spelling and writing a little). He stood by his table the night of the Science Fair and answered questions and talked about his work. I couldn't help but hover near him, trying not to beam too brightly with pride at my oldest boy's accomplishments. I was seriously grinning to see him so excited about this. I am impressed and contradictorily humbled by the amazing fact that he is growing into such a fine young man. 
HOW TO RECYCLE PAPER:
on the left: Questions, Materials. In the middle: a step by step description and on the right: his observations.
6 comments:
WOW! CONGRATULATIONS OWEN! Accolades are definitely in order and I don't find it hard to believe that you received this recognition. Personally, I would whole heartedly agree with those who made this appointment. AND I am stunned with your science fair project! I would like to have a tutorial. GG
Owen, Aunt Carol is as proud as she can be of you!!! What accomplishments!!!! Excellent work!! That science fair project was a good one! I can't believe you planned it all by yourself. I shall not forget the science fairs my kids were in. I really don't think my kids were as energetic as you were. They got by with as little as they could do. In fact I think it was Peggy and her friend sang a song and than explained how the voice works!! Ugh! Bless you my little boy. I'm so very very proud of you!!!!
Aunt Carol
Congratulations Owen! That looks like a wonderful science project - well done! Lisel - just give in... you are a parent, it was inevitable...and never say never. :) Love you all, Kirstie
WOW!!!WOW!!!and WOW!!!
Congratulations to Owen, parents and Elliot (I know he helped as much as he could). Great work (science, parenting, and
b(r)othering. You are all justifiably proud.
love, dzia dzia
Oh wow, that is an awesome project! Between that and the electronic set he got over the holidays and apparently devoured, you seem to have a real scholar on your hands! I have to say I am just as thrilled that our school hasn't asked my son to enter one of these fairs... yet!
I think Owen could probably recycle that looooong "E", too! You can get a lot more use out of that one! lol
Fantastic! I totally get what you mean about those stickers on the car, but if I had one for my grandsons, I'd put it on the car too!
Way to go, Owen! And way to go Mom, being so proud of the young lad. He is just such an amazing prodigy!
I'm so proud of all of you!!!
Nana Liana
Post a Comment