Monday, May 11, 2009

Hope it was Happy!

In case you are living under a rock or are a very bad person, you know that yesterday was Mother's Day.

We celebrated by having scones and coffee, playing in the yard and going grocery shopping. In short, a typical Sunday for us! The difference is that this time Owen and Elliot made me some absolutely precious presents including a paper bouquet of flowers, a beautiful book of coupons to redeem when I want Owen to help in the garden or in the kitchen, and lots of hugs and kisses and smiles. (Well, that part isn't different from a normal Sunday). Oh, and Elliot kept singing Happy Birthday to me all day. "Happy Birthday dear Mommy!" So incredibly sweet.

And then we dropped Paul off at the airport for a two week business trip to FINLAND of all places. Yes, that's right, two weeks. Happy Mother's Day indeed.

But before he left, on Saturday he dropped me at the mall and took the kids to the bookstore while I got my first pedicure in years. I am now a convert and feel that every Mother needs a good foot massage and pretty toenails to make it through the week. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel like a new woman -- and I keep looking at my toes and smiling. Who knew simple pleasures could be so enjoyable! I'm sending a special blog kiss to my dear husband who is so close to the arctic circle right now and will surely miss us all very much when he finally awakens from his jet-lagged stupor. I love you, Paul, and I certainly wouldn't be the mother I am without your love and support. Be safe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! You're the best Mommy in the World, just ask O or E...

Yes, quite near the Arctic Circle indeed. I had the odd sensation yesterday of watching the sun break over the *northern* horizon... I didn't get into Oulu until 1:00 a.m. The sun had just set in Helsinki at 10:30 when I arrived there. But as I flew farther north, the sun came back up (well nearly, it was just below the horizon), this time in the due north. - Strange place...

Paul

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that Paul had to leave! It sounds like he and the kids made up for it though! Here I was feeling bad for Margo that Jeff has to go to Haiti for a week. Now Paul is gone for two! I want to bless Margo for being such a trouper about all of the things he has to do for this doctorate! I just know she has to be looking forward to THE END! Bless Owen and Elliot for their sweet celebration of their mother!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had lovely Mother day remembrances even 05/10/09 was somewhat abbrivated with Paul leaving for Finland. Owen and Elliot's gifts sound absolutely wonderful. And a pedicure! How novel! You scored on that one. I hope we will able have some available time to assist you while Paul is gone. I will stay in touch. GG

HT said...

2 weeks! Finland! Be safe Paul, and I can just imagine the cool gifts brought back for the boys from that one!