Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wonderful/Full of Wonder

We went on our monthly excursion to our favorite library yesterday after school. Sometimes it's a mad dash to grab books and go, but yesterday everyone picked out some fabulous books and we had time to watch the train go round and round -- and to drink numerous times from the water fountain. Paul took the camera with him, so I don't have photographic evidence of this trip, but I'm not sure any photographer on the world (least of all my amateur attempts) could really ever capture the look of wonder on their faces when they become enraptured by a new book. There was a moment when Elliot was staring so intently at the illustration on the page, and I knew that he was drinking in every ounce of that picture, and that the picture WAS the story to him. It was a beautiful moment.




Just last week Owen and Elliot and I went to the Aquarium for a little fun after school. This was before Paul took off to Finland with the camera, but when I looked at these pictures to upload them, they totally proved my point just a little too well. At the time, I was fiddling with the settings on the camera and didn't quite get it right so they are all a little blurry... but looking at them now I'm realizing that I can't actually capture those moments in photo, I can only record them to remind myself how wonderful that instant really was. Here are a few for you:




At first, I thought I would be lost without my camera for two weeks, but I hope I learn this lesson well: that sometimes it is better to just enjoy the moment instead of trying to capture it for later. The now is better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These ARE beautiful moments, indeed! I thank you for the pictures. It helps me to lock into my memory the wonder on their faces. I love it and I love those wonderful, handsome, adorable boys! GG

Bethany said...

Lisel,

Your story reminds me of a favorite poem, "The Vacation," by Wendell Berry. It goes like this:

Once there was a man who filmed his vacation.
He went flying down the river in his boat
with his video camera to his eye, making
a moving picture of the moving river
upon which his sleek boat moved swiftly
toward the end of his vacation. He showed
his vacation to his camera, which pictured it,
preserving it forever: the river, the trees,
the sky, the light, the bow of his rushing boat
behind which he stood with his camera
preserving his vacation even as he was having it
so that after he had had it he would still
have it. It would be there. With a flick
of a switch there it would be. But he
would not be in it. He would never be in it.

Anonymous said...

All of these mini vacation as I will call them are so sweet!! You'll never be sorry for all of the time you spent with those two precious boys! The pictures are almost breath taking! What gorgeous little boys!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures!

I know exactly what you mean. I don't get to see their faces when I read to them, but it's so nice to see them reading, or being read to...

Paul