OK, I made a conscious choice a little while ago to post positive uplifting stories on this blog because I didn't want it to be a list of complaints about child-raising. I love my children , I love raising them and I love even the most frustrating aspects of motherhood. BUT, I am frequently dumbfounded and envious of moms who talk about their child "playing by themselves" -- either playing a game or with a toy, or with dolls, or with Legos, or whatnot for any extended time frame longer than 5 minutes.
Of course Elliot wants to do everything himself. Which is absolutely great and wonderful! Except that he demands his autonomy with such force and vehemence that I am literally not strong enough to hold him back for safety's sake. And then there are the times (like today) when I try to let him just be 2 and I'm left utterly astounded at how different he is from Owen at this age.
Case in point: I leave him in the kitchen for a brief moment this morning and when I return he has carried the step stool to the kitchen sink and is methodically filling the washbasin with water, along with a few cups he found next to the sink, and slowly, carefully pouring them out. Onto the kitchen floor. The kitchen sink is full of water and now the floor is too. OK, fine, he is exploring his senses and learning eye-hand co-ordination it's all good for him. And it's just water, so I mop it up and try to lead him to a different activity.
Shortly thereafter, I leave him in the living room for a moment to get something from the office and I hear him laughing saying "I'm upside down!" uh-oh, I think, and I return to find him with the step stool pushed up against the couch, standing on the back of the couch complaining unhappily "I can't touch the ceiling!!!!" I explain to him that it's not safe and show him how I can't touch the ceiling either and try to distract him with another activity.
Later on, I take a moment to myself in the bathroom with the door closed (it has to happen sometimes, people) and Elliot is being suspiciously quiet. Half of me is hopeful that he has found a good book and is crouched down exploring the pages, but the other half of me is not at all surprised when I go into his bedroom and find him inside his closet, climbed up on the top shelf, carefully shaking baby powder all over Owen's clothes and things. Wheeeee!
I know he is just exploring and doing what any 2 year old should. But why oh why does everything he do have to be fraught with danger or disaster?
The answer, I suppose, is to not get farther than 3 feet from him at all times. I used to scoff at those people who had harnesses on their children in busy airports. Little did I know, that some children NEED THEM!!!!!!!
6 comments:
Oh my goodness! I think I will pray that God will send several special angels just to watch over Elliot!! He is totally out to do himself in or do his mother in, one of the two. Paul had better make this mother's day a wonderful celebration of his wife and the good mother of his children. I don't know, I think it might be worth a new outfit AND flowers! One thing if you train him to go in the right direction he will be a wonderful asset to this world. He'll get a lot accomplished!!
Aunt Carol
What a daredevil... this sounds so much like Duncan- and yes, we had 2 harnesses. One was the teddy bear "back pack" with a lead attached, but he preferred the plain old blue "leash". A spade's a spade, and some kids need a leash! Not many... so far Declan seems more like an Owen than an Elliot- phew. And more than once the "NO NO NO" shrieking from my apartment was as a result of 4 seconds of no Duncan supervision. You sound more balanced than me as a mom. I long for a dog crate some days! xo
Lisel, You need our prayers!! Our adorable 2 year old is amazingly agile and strong. Besides that he has a very quick mind. Now we need to pray that he develops good old "common sense" to accompany all his other gifts. He is very entertaining to read about, but I remember another 2 year old from the past.......and I know the energy it takes and that you sometimes run out of it. Let's talk about next week.
One of my girlfriends had to replace her toaster because her 3 year old son put crayons in it - just to see... we also catch him climbing up the garden walls to pick snap peas... my friend (who has a 7 year old as well) is constantly on her toes with him... she has him in gymnastics this summer.
By the way! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, Lisel. GG
Oh my word. He IS an active little guy. My 2 and a half year old does spend good quality time playing by herself but then during the deceptive "quiet time" will empty all the clothes in the dressers, all the towels in the linen closet and my favorite, all the bulk spices in the spice drawer that I didn't even realize she could reach.
This too shall pass. Glad you got that pedicure!!
Julie
Post a Comment