It was Paul's bachelor couch way back when a lifetime ago, and at one time it was a very handsome and elegantly large piece of furniture. Then he met me and his life changed and so did the insouciant style of his couch. The fine soft leather is scratched from numerous cat pounces and pencil pokes. The color is so sun faded and stained that I can't even identify the exact shade it once was. And, I admit it's a little lumpy in places.
But, oh, the adventures we have on this couch are wild and wonderful.
The cushions come apart in so many different ways that we've built forts, spaceships, submarines and lately pirate ship after pirate ship. The other day Elliot spent all morning sailing the ocean blue in search of buried treasure on that couch.
I fear that one day, Owen will simply put his foot through the bottom with one ill-fated jump, or Elliot will take out a sharpie and practice writing his name on the cushions over and over and over again. But, until that last fatal blow, we are destined for more pirate adventures aboard this couch, the center of our home.
Sometimes, it's just the perfect place to jump into the waves and pretend to be a sea lion:
4 comments:
I remember when that couch was very green and pristine and Paul was mortified by the cats scratching their claws on it! Now, I imagine he has succumbed to it's draw as a fortress/inside tree house/play yard, etc. I, too, loved playing on that couch with the boys...it's so easy to sink into. I hope it sticks around for a lot longer! Kirst
Charming! It IS a fabulous couch full of so many hidden agendas! And the video of Elliot was priceless! What an imagination that kid has! Great fun!
Nana Liana
I would have to agree - the couch has a multitude of adventures woven into it's fabric and, yes, she is no longer what she used to be. On the other hand, she has grown tremendously in character and gracious giving! I love the video and the wave are quite authentic. GG
Bless those good old couches!!!! Jeff has one, also, that came from his college days and Margo allows it to become a trampoline! Oh the fun!! It takes good moms to let the kids enjoy those old couches! There is nothing like them!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment