Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Weekend Away

This past weekend I went on a me-only trip to visit my sister, Kirsten, in her new home in Port Angeles, Washington. I was there to help her set up the baby room, the baby registry, the baby clothes, and to give her support and advice on her impending due date (she's welcoming her first child in August)..... The trip was so wonderful, for so many reasons.... but here are the things that are sticking in my memory the most:

1. Remembering that feeling before the baby is born: the thrill of anticipation and the hope for the future.
2. The unforgettable moment almost 7 years ago: holding Owen for the first time as Kirsten stood by my bedside after a seemingly endless night of labor...
3. The amazingly bold memory of Elliot slipping out of me on one last terrifying, exhilarating, wild woman push.
4. Remembering the sleepless first nights of being a first-time parent.
5. Acknowledging to myself that experience and wisdom are not the same thing.
6. Reading the Sunday New York Times cover to cover on the plane ride back.
7. Carrying only a small purse as my carry-on.
8. Watching my babies' crib bedding be placed on their new cousin-to-be's crib.
9. Seeing my boys faces running into my bedroom, first thing in the morning after I had been gone for three days. The joy! The sparkle! The grins!
10. Coming home to my family and knowing that Kirsten and Joe will soon be filling their home with that unconditional, non-judgmental, heart-exploding love of a child.

I wish you both all the best in this beautiful next chapter in your lives!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisel, you wrote that so beautifully I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes!! It brings back so many memories to me, also, and now here we are with children grown and grandkids that are ever so precious! Thanks you for all the memories your writing revived in my soul! I'm glad you had such a nice time!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to spend last week-end with Kirsten and Joe. Your memories and reflections on this visit will be with you always. Your ability to write it all down is wonderful. It is very touching and it certainly resonate with me as well. Sometimes the memories of experiencing motherhood are so deeply felt in the soul that it can scarcely be put into words, but you were able to say it beautifully. May Joe and Kirsten be blessed with this same wonder of child birth and parenthood.

I think I can picture the excitement on Owen and Elliot's faces as they rushed into your bedroom. I love entertaining those mind pictures and how Elmer and I love those two young boys GG

Joe and Kirsten said...

Lisel - we are eternally grateful for all your wisdom and experience - we could not have done all of this without your help. I only hope that we will be half as good as parents as you and Paul are. We really admire the way you are with them and to see how amazing those boys are is an absolute reflection on your parenting skills. We feel so lucky to have you as our role models.
Thank you for everything! Love, Kirst and Joe

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, Lisel! You are such a gifted writer. And you experience at such a deep level. Wow!

Motherhood is both daunting, ennobling, terrifying, painful, exhilirating and I wouldn't change a moment of it!!!

Your sharing time with Kirsten is so beneficial for her at this time - well, anytime, and especially now when she is so close to birthing.

What a beautiful picture of the boys rushing into the room! I can just see their happy faces!

You paint such beautiful pictures, honey!

Nana Liana

HT said...

Congrats to your sis, and to you Miss Almost Auntie! How lovely for the kids to have a new cousin so soon. xo xo ht