Yes, Owen is 7. An unbelievably short 7 years has come and gone. Sometimes I look at this child and wonder at his clear blue eyes and the ever increasing number of freckles on his nose, and the gaps in his sheepish grin where his permanent teeth are positioning themselves. Can it really be that long ago when I held him in my arms and nursed him? Seven years ago I wondered if I'd ever sleep again as his restlessness filled our nights.... well into his toddler hood.
Even that. His toddler hood. It seems like another century ago when his eyes filled with questions instead of answers, when his chubby cheeks nuzzled into the crook of my elbow as I rocked him to sleep day after day at nap time and then again night after night.
I dreamt last night that he was as tall as I was, and when we spoke in the dream his eyes were looking evenly into mine. I woke up happy.
My 7 wishes for him in his 7th year?
Confidence, humility, imagination, reason, joy, knowledge, love.
Happy Birthday, Owen.
Even that. His toddler hood. It seems like another century ago when his eyes filled with questions instead of answers, when his chubby cheeks nuzzled into the crook of my elbow as I rocked him to sleep day after day at nap time and then again night after night.
I dreamt last night that he was as tall as I was, and when we spoke in the dream his eyes were looking evenly into mine. I woke up happy.
My 7 wishes for him in his 7th year?
Confidence, humility, imagination, reason, joy, knowledge, love.
Happy Birthday, Owen.
2 comments:
Does this boy know how much you adore him? I think so! What's not to love? Beautiful wishes you've laid out for him, Lisel. May it be so!
Nana Liana
What a beatiful post.
Post a Comment