Thursday, July 08, 2010

Summer So Far

Yes, we went to the beach! But, that was last week and this week it's been cold and damp and rainy. Right now I'm wearing long sleeves and felted wool slippers and I'm sipping Earl Grey tea to ward off the unseasonable chill. I realize that most of the country is melting in triple digits, but we are feeling a little chilly over here!

Owen is getting filthy dirty at his summer camp this week. Archery, foraging in the woods, fort building, arts and crafts and low ropes courses leave him covered in dirt from head to toe when he returns each day. Yesterday I made him undress at the door and go straight to the bath tub. Now that's what I call a good summer camp! I wish I could go, too!


Last week Elliot practiced "surfing" with his buddy Roan at the beach...


But, since the weather turned yucky the past few days, he's been more happy littering the living room with Legos, taking apart the couch and playing SABER TOOTH CAT!!!!! Grrrrr!



Here's hoping the sun joins us again for Saturday's planned outdoor birthday extravaganza for Owen. The slip and slide, water balloons and the wading pool are waiting patiently to be used and abused... stay tuned!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Summer vacation is off to a great start in spite of the lingering "June Gloom". We are anticipating a great celebration of Owen's 7 years (where has that time gone? It was only a couple of years ago it seems that we were rocking him to sleep in the blue rocking chair.) Summer Camp sounds like a complete work out, Owen. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We are excited about coming for your birthday party Saturday. I think I felt a chill seeing Elliot and Roan surfing on the beach, but I love the picture. GG

Anonymous said...

Looks like Summer vacation is off to a great start in spite of the lingering "June Gloom". We are anticipating a great celebration of Owen's 7 years (where has that time gone? It was only a couple of years ago it seems that we were rocking him to sleep in the blue rocking chair.) Summer Camp sounds like a complete work out, Owen. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We are excited about coming for your birthday party Saturday. I think I felt a chill seeing Elliot and Roan surfing on the beach, but I love the picture. GG

Anonymous said...

Looks like Summer vacation is off to a great start in spite of the lingering "June Gloom". We are anticipating a great celebration of Owen's 7 years (where has that time gone? It was only a couple of years ago it seems that we were rocking him to sleep in the blue rocking chair.) Summer Camp sounds like a complete work out, Owen. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We are excited about coming for your birthday party Saturday. I think I felt a chill seeing Elliot and Roan surfing on the beach, but I love the picture. GG

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Owen look like he just love summer camp! It must be so much fun! Wish I could be a fly on the wall and see what he's up to there! And the pic of Elliot and Roan at the beach are great! Must have been one of the few warm days we've had recently!

Can't wait for the birthday party tomorrow and the splashing and sloshing that will be so much fun for all the kids!

Owen is 7, who'dda thunk it would happen so fast???

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great summer to me!!! Those are two very blessed little boys!!! Continue to have a great summer boys!!!

Aunt Carol

lily said...

Happy birthday to Owen! I especially loved that surfing picture-- those boys look way more balanced up on their boards than I am! Heh.

Lily

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe it, I've been away from this site a very short time and Lisel got busy posting! What fun you guys are having! I hope the birthday went beautifully! Camp had to have been right down Owen's alley!!! I've already stripped kids at the door also, and threw the clothes right in the wash machine! We haven't seen much of cold and damp this summer. It has been hot and sticky! Good for the farmers' crops! The bees are struggling though, with a lot of rain and mites! Oh, well, whatever God has for us!

Aunt Carol