Sunday, May 13, 2012

Potholders and Poetry

I was up at 5:45 this morning, a pair of knees in my back and my covers being twisted and pulled this way and that. Same as any other day, really, except today there was a sudden realization that gifts were squirrelled away waiting to be opened. Elliot ran downstairs to find his cleverly hidden gift and soon he was leaping back up the stairs to me with Owen close on his heels.

Elliot had made me a potholder and painted a beautiful tulip for me. Owen had made me a straw basket and written me a poem. I am so very very lucky. Thanks, boys!


Feathers and Light
You are like a light in a dark room,
The light is hope,
Lighting my way to the future,
the perfect division of ancestors,
Like light divides into colors.
A feather acts as it wants as you act on stage,
Flowing with the wind,
Going where the future tells,
Like a prized feather,
Soft is your heart.
I love you mom!!
-Owen


6 comments:

TheTamayos said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful Mother's Day moment.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure, Lisel! We love you and those two boys so very much. The poem causes me to tear up. GG

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I hardly know what to say... Just proud to be one of the many "colors" that comprise my two boys. -Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, Lisel, that poem is so very dear!!! What a precious boy you are Owen!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

In capturing his mom, he has given an idea about himself. WOW, congratulations. Dzia Dzia

Anonymous said...

Owen is so gifted in so many ways, and you are not the only one so proud of him! And I can imagine Elliot's joy at presenting you the potholder! What a treasure-full day that must have been!
Nana Liana