Monday, May 22, 2006

As promised....

Pictures and stories! I'll start with some highlights from last week.

ZOO! I recently realized that although Owen and I do a lot of fun things together we don't avail ourselves of this amazing place as frequently as I'd like. So, last Thursday we went for an hour or so and saw some really cool sights. You know how sometimes you go to the Zoo and the animals are all sleeping and just sitting there? (C'mon, we humans paid to see you!!!!) Well this time we really got a good show. We saw a tree kangaroo with a little baby that climbed in and out of its mommy's pouch. CUTE! It kept poking its arms and nose out while mama kangaroo kept nudging it back in. Is that the same as me trying to convince Owen to ride in the ERGO backpack carrier we have?

My favorite moment of the day was when we saw the Bornean Bearded Pig and Owen had a huge realization: "HEY!!!!! DziaDzia HAS A BEARD !!!!!!!!" Then he thought it was really funny how much they looked alike (Sorry, Dad. the resemblance is very slight I assure you!).








Then we spent quite a bit of time at the giraffes. He loved it... (Oh, so did I):



Then, the coolest thing -- we went to the panda exhibit (we don't usually go because the lines are ridiculously long, but not this time). The adult pandas were big piles of black and white fur in sort of blob-like unrecognizable shapes hiding behind foliage and tree limbs. But, a baby panda had crawled all the way up to the top of the tree and was perched like a koala bear, sleeping in a bundle, out in the open without any leaf shade, over the top of the tree canopy. Owen was so excited to see it so clearly and was amazed that it had climbed all the way up there by himself. We took the Sky Tram back over the Zoo to get to the front entrance, and as we were looking down over all the animal enclosures, we realized that the baby panda was perched on his tree top right below us! We literally had a bird's eye view.

It was a truly fun day at the Zoo. We can't wait to go back!

No comments: