Thursday, May 15, 2008

can't think of a good title for this

I've mentioned before how my personal grooming habits have changed considerably since having children. That is not always a bad thing, of course. For instance, I've come to the realization that manicures are kind of pointless, because on the rare occasion that I have one it just chips anyway -- really, what a waste of money! also, shampooing hair every day is actually not that good for you... and let's see, fast showers mean less water usage which means it's better for the environment! Also, I don't bother with make-up on a daily basis. There once was a time that I wouldn't leave the house without make-up. I laugh when I think about that... also, I don't even bother packing make-up in my purse anymore. There's diapers and wipes and snacks and Kleenex in there already, and I hardly have time to re-apply when I'm out and about anyway. Mostly, though, it just doesn't matter to Owen and Elliot whether I'm wearing mascara or blush. They only see me as Mommy, even when I'm having a bad hair day, or the circles under my eyes are darker than usual. It's a relief, actually.

On the other hand, yesterday Elliot was napping and Owen and I were painting with watercolors in the office. Owen was wearing shorts, and so was I because it was a hot day. Owen looked at me and remarked"Mom, your legs are furry." Then he thought carefully about it for a moment and corrected himself "No, no, no. you're legs are SPINY!!!!" Then he laughed at me.

Note to self: buy a new razor and TAKE THE EXTRA 2 MINUTES IN THE SHOWER!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a riot! Kids' comments are priceless. I have to tell you of Hallie's comment the other night. Hallie is 5. John and Peggy have had a lot of difficulty getting pregnant so up until now Hallie is an only child. Peggy all of a sudden realized, much to her shock, that she was pregnant. She has been pretty sick so I have been there to help here and there. On Monday night both John and Bill had a meeting at church so I went over to help a bit. After John and Bill got back they had a snack and all of a sudden I heard Bill call me. I said to Hallie--Grandpa coughed a lot last night so now he is tired and wants to go home. She said---It must be boring to sleep with a husband!!! I laughed so hard!

Have a great day!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I never had thought of the adjective "SPINY" to describe the condition Owen referred to, but I knew immediately what he was saying. I found myself bursting out in laughter at the thought! So funny! You know, Lisel, you always look good to us. It's probably all that natural beauty, and that is probably what Owen and Elliot see as well (even with "SPINY" legs) Love you.
GG

Bethany said...

The same thing happened to me the other day! I was wearing shorts and holding Clara on my lap before her naptime, and she suddenly wanted to sit next to me and NOT on my lap. I asked her why and she said, "poky legs." I had to change into pants. I totally understand what you mean about grooming habits changing after becoming a mom!

HT said...

Oh I feel this one! Duncan once stroked my leg and said "ah, like Rosie."- as if it were a compliment! He also pets my hair at night and occasionally says "Mommy, you really need to wash your hair". A skirt or different shirt prompts "what are you wearing mama? You look beautiful!" Don't you love every delicious ounce of our boys? xo ht