Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Back to School Pictures

Outside our front door this morning:



Walking to school:



Outside his Kindergarten class:



Elliot's look of despair and worry at seeing his brother going off to have fun without him:



For the record, Owen walked smartly into class and said hello to Miss Allen, his new teacher, without even once looking back over his shoulder. Meanwhile, I walked back up the big hill to our house fighting back tears and thinking about all the new things he will see and do without me. Elliot's face pretty much matched my inside emotions, I guess.
I wonder what he's up to right this minute? Elliot is sleeping and the house is oh so quiet. This will take some getting used to.

5 comments:

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Oh no, look at poor Elliot's face!! I just wanna give him a hug! I think once he figures out he is going to have a lot more one-on-one time with Mommy, he is going to LOVE having his brother off at school.

And YOU are going to love having a little more Mommy-and-NO-ONE time! It makes one a better Mommy.

Anonymous said...

History repeats itself once again! I had a total flashback to 1970 when Paul entered the school system. We have a very similar picture of the little munchkin standing in our driveway waving good-bye enthusiastically. Some 38 years have passed since that day, but it is still fresh in my memory. Owen, we are so proud of the fine young man you are, and we are wishing you a great kindergarten experience. Elliot, it rips my heart out to see your sad, near to tears beautiful little face. It would be untrue to say, "It will be like it has always been." It won't, but your big brother will always be your big brother and he will be a good one. Grandpa and Grandma love you. GG

Elaine said...

Yeah, Lily couldn't have cared less about me as I left. Even Anya wanted to stay in the classroom. Sigh. But hey, it was quiet at home when Ani was napping. So odd.

Anonymous said...

Owen, you look so cool walking to school. Mommy had you dressed so cute! I bet your teacher loves you!! Oh, Lisel, I remember the day Peggy went off to school. I think I cried till nearly noon when it was time for her to come back. Poor little Elliot! Owen is your real life buddy, isn't he?? I bet you were happy to see him when he came back home. I just know how high the emotions ran that day. Hallie went to school, too, on Tuesday, and her pictures were similar. She, too, was oh so ready to be going to school. I called her when she got back home. When she heard it was me she said, "you remembered"! I just had to remember both Hallie and Owen in prayer yesterday morning and this morning as they start this new adventure. God go with you Owen. We are cheering you on!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I vividly remember your first day of school, Lisel. You were so ready to meet new friends and be a "big kid". Just like you I was the one with tears watching the last of my daughters off to school... fortunately we lived in Canada then, and you girls could walk home for lunch and Sesame Street in French!

Owen looks just adorable for his first day of school. thanks for sharing all the photos!

Mom