Sunday, May 24, 2009

Restoring Balance

Last night after dinner and baths, I dressed Owen and Elliot in their pajamas and we went to one of our favorite coffee shops for milk and cookies. Then, hopped up on sugar and spice and all things nice, we went to the airport (after bedtime!!) to pick up Paul.

Yay! Daddy's home from Finland!

We spent the day trying to remember all the things that happened within the span of two weeks that didn't get shared via transatlantic cell phone call. We also spent a large part of the day trying to restore the balance of power in the house (away from toddler placation and toward adult conversation).... um, we're still working on that. However, tonight after a lovely dinner outside -- which had been sprinkled with fresh herbs from our two weeks later flourishing garden -- Paul and the boys got to play. I was in the kitchen washing up the dinner dishes and all I know is that there were squeals of laughter out back and every time I peeked out the window Elliot was racing back and forth across the yard with glee and a new found sense of contentedness. Insert sigh of relief here. Welcome home, Paul.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of you so often during those two weeks and I'm so glad Paul is safely back home. I was pretty sure this was the weekend he returned!! I wish Jeff's trip was over to Haiti! I feel sorry for Margo. Haiti isn't necessarily a safe country but God is there just as He is here and I beg for His protection! Margo is such a trooper about it all. Taking care of a 6 month old and a soon to be three year old is a challenge when you know daddy isn't going to be home at night to relieve you!

Welcome home, Paul!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

It's not possible to replicate the feeling of looking down a long airport corridor, the last of countless corridors you’ve walked in the last 25 hours, to see the three most beautiful faces you’ve seen in the past two weeks, your family, all beaming, Lisel excited and maybe a bit relieved, Owen and Elliot with just a twinge of shyness as though they’ll need a few seconds to get reacquainted…

Ahhhh… It’s nice to be back home.

Anonymous said...

I thought of calling you several times Saturday and Sunday (from Illinois), but I decided it would just be an interruption to a glad reunion! We, too, are so thankful that you are home safely, Paul.

Lisel, Thank you for holding everything together over the past 2 weeks. And thank you, Owen and Elliot for "helping" Mommy.

We love you all! GG

Anonymous said...

My husband leaves on business quite often and I know just what you are talking about with "restoring balance".

So glad you've got Paul home safe!

Julie (Ludlum)