Thursday, May 06, 2010

Buried Treasure

Pirates have definitely captured our attention lately. As I mentioned in my last post, Owen is reading Treasure Island. Well, Elliot keeps saying "When I grow up I'm going to read Treasure Island, too!" and then he'll disappear for a few minutes into his bedroom and come out looking like this:

Elliot is deep in his relentless "Why?" stage and will ask that question over and over regarding whatever has captured his fancy that day. Lately we've been having long conversations about the moral ambiguity of pirates (A sample conversation goes something like this. Elliot: "Why do pirates have swords?" Me: "Well, they aren't very nice people and they use their swords to hurt other people and steal their gold". Elliot: "But not me, I'm not mean, I'm a nice pirate". Me: "OK." Elliot: "Why are pirates mean?" etc. Now imagine that conversation going on for HOURS. Then I'll finally change the subject and the next day he'll start the whole line of questions again).

Anyway, today we had 45 minutes to kill while waiting for Owen to finish a class, so Elliot and I stopped at the beach for a brief wallow and roll in the sand. He has these temporary tattoos of pirates on his forearms (don't tell Elliot they're not real), and the image of him digging in the sand cracked me up.

I don't know what he was digging for, but I think young Jim Hawkins would be proud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elliot, you are such a stinking riot!!! I just had to laugh when I read this post! It sure makes me wonder what you will be like in adult form! You are so fortunate that you have such a good patient mom!!! We love you all!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I love how Owen went through his pirate phase, and now Elliot is engaged fully in it! And love the pics of him out at the beach... digging for treasure, matey! Aaaargh! Too cute for words!

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Priceless. The pirate stance is right on. Has he been taught or is this just inborn? Elmer and I find his abilities to perform quite amazing as well as hilarious. It would seem that he will have to move mountains of sand to find anything more that a few broken shells. Maybe he needs a metal detector! Still laughing! GG

Unknown said...

Would you believe that our school's mascot is a Pirate? The Hart Pirates. Elliot would love that. Cute kid...cute photos.

Aunt Joan