Monday, August 02, 2010

Plans and Quotes

Owen woke up with a summer fever today. No stomach ache, no sore throat or sniffles, just a headache and a temperature of 102. Boo.

As a result, our big plan for the summer day will involve staying in. We were going to go to the park, fly kites, ride bikes, run errands and visit friends -- but instead I see homemade bread and books, books and more books in our day's future.

This summer is flying by, as time does...

I think I need to post these quotes today to remind myself of how important days like today are. These are from Camp Creek Blog which is a really inspiring website full of home schooling advice (I linked to it on my blog list on the right column of this blog)... Although I don't home school my kids, I do school them at home -- does that make sense? So I love getting ideas from all these blogs and resources to keep all of us exploring and learning.

Anyway, these quotes hit the spot today, as I was re-structuring the day in my head. Sometimes you need to hear this advice over and over before you really heed it.

"Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit, and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these". — Susan B. Anthony

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures". — Thornton Wilder

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you sure do school your kids at home and you do a great job! It is amazing to me that there are hundreds of miles between us and your kids have the same summer junk our grandkids had when they stayed here! It wasn't a serious illness, just annoying! Owen I hope you feel well very quickly!!! I love you!~

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you were attacked by an unfriendly organism, Owen. I trust that it has left the scene by now. I love that you were able to readjust your day to accommodate the "summer complaint. It sounded like a great alternative to the original plan and, yes, sometimes the best of memories are captured when least planned for. Susan said it very well. GG