Although we had a ridiculous amount of fun this past summer doing a variety of enjoyable activities, I think a lot of what I remember of our past few months is the amazing books that have infiltrated our lives in a most enjoyable way.
1. After receiving it as a birthday present in July, Owen read The Adventures of Robin Hood --which has spawned role playing, archery lessons, slingshot making, bow and arrow making, discussions about hunting, and the sight of Robin of Loxley walking through most of San Diego (Elliot has worn his Robin Hood costume out and about all week much to the enjoyment of local San Diegans).
2. On our vacation, we all read Danny The Champion of the World which generated hours of discussions and conversations about loyalty, adventure, and love... and pheasants.
3. Once we got on the Roald Dahl kick, we spent several weeks reading chapter by chapter The BFG. This was the most fun bedtime reading of all time and until we turned the last page we had nightly wails of despair from Elliot when he would realize that we were stopping at the end of the chapter.....
4. Now we are on to Stuart Little. When Elliot sits on my lap and Owen peers down at me from his top bunk perch, I see their eyes widening and their mouths parted in anticipation as I read the exciting adventures unfolding on the page. The look of wonder and joy is almost too much.
5. Owen is also reading The Prince and The Pauper -- another birthday present. I love how he burrows into a chair and completely loses himself in the page.
Of course, this doesn't even include the literally dozens of picture books and short books from our shelves that we pull down and read at any given moment. There are books, books everywhere in this house! And yet I still make my way to our library for new books... and find myself browsing in book stores.
I'm not even sure how I could live in a world where e-books were the only form of entertainment. There is just something about the paper, the illustrations, and the sense of holding the story in your head --and your heart-- when you hold the book in your hand.
Well, no wonder my kids love books too.
5 comments:
I love this post. You describe something that I had dimly felt but not yet put into words: Whenever I think back on Jane's newborn days, I think about reading to Clara--the Wizard of Oz, Danny Champion of the World, and James and the Giant Peach all while snuggled up in the big bed nursing Jane. I'll always treasure those books.
And I'm with you on the love of a real book. Holding it in my hands, flipping through pages, even smelling the paper--it's all part of the book-reading experience.
I love it that your boys love books. I recently read that on average children have 13 books at home. 13! And reading is SO important but also just plain fun.
Have fun, Owen and Elliot!
Great post, Lisel. Story time at your house hold many wonderful adventures. It is obvious that those adventures are not wasted on either of the boys and I love Elliot's role playing. His enthusiasm is contagious and I am sure that he provided considerable entertainment around town. What joy and what good memories! Thanks for spending this quality time with the boys. GG
So beautifully written, Lisel! Children learn to love reading when reading takes place in the home, and you and Kirsten were always avid readers too. It's a wonderful legacy to pass on! And I totally agree - much as I understand the ease of a Kindle it's just NOT the same as holding the book in your hand. Call me old-fashioned, but I love the smell of books, the feel, the joy of turning the page just to find out what happens next!
Nana Liana
I'm definitely a hard copy book person myself and I hope to pass that same love to Aidan. If Owen and Elliot are done with any of their books, feel free to pass them along! They will be well-loved in our house too.:) Love you and miss you guys. Aunt Kirstie
Ahhhh...yes, hours and hours of pleasure and fun. What a wonderful wonderful pass time! You guys are the best, occupying those adorable little boys in good solid reading! These boys are blessed to have parents that introduce them to such fun stuff! Keep up the cool work!!!!
God go with you all! I love you!
Aunt carol
Post a Comment