I don't know what it is, but Paul and I are incapable of letting our kids fall to sleep on their own. With Owen it was a huge challenge for his first two years because he just would not sleep unless someone was holding him. Many frustrated nights and and nap times ensued. We tried the whole cry it out thing and that just killed us as parents, so we just suffered until one day Owen was an expert sleeper. Now he loves going to sleep, rarely wakes up in the middle of the night (even with Elliot crying) and things are hunky dory. Enter baby number 2. Elliot also requires nursing and holding for him to sleep. The difference is that once he's sleeping he doesn't notice when I stick him in the crib (Owen used to jolt awake no matter how deeply he was sleeping and clamor to be held again). So as long as I can get Elliot to sleep, nap time is not an upsetting endeavor. Thank goodness. The only challenge is how long it takes me to get him to sleep. In the morning it doesn't really matter because Owen is in preschool (YAY!) and I just sit there in the rocker dreaming about all the things I'll do once Elliot's in his crib: exercise, blog, laundry, dishes, shower, knit. Unfortunately my list is always longer than the actual time Elliot will sleep but you get the idea.
Afternoon naps are a little different. Usually when I'm putting Elliot down for nap time, Owen keeps himself busy doing fun stuff in the other room that Elliot can't play with -- like building marble runs, doing puzzles, or coloring with markers and crayons, that sort of thing. Occasionally when I'm nursing Elliot and trying to get him to sleep I'll hear some unidentifiable sounds in the living room. I sit there weighing the options: do I go see what Owen's doing and wake up Elliot in the process which means I have to start all over with the nap time ritual? or do I assume that I can clean up whatever Owen is doing and just let him do it? When I'm in this quandary, usually the mess wins out. I eventually get Elliot into his crib and emerge from the bedroom to find masking tape strung from fireplace to kitchen table to sink to floor or I find stickers placed on various items throughout the house. Owen is quite thrilled with his handiwork so I can't really fault him for it, plus he kept himself completely entertained.....
Anyway, the other day we were drawing and coloring and Owen drew a beautiful picture. I'd been helping him spell words ( he can write his letters very well, but needs help sounding out his words). I said, maybe we can write the word butterfly on the top of this picture? Owen was very excited, but at that moment I had to go help Elliot take his nap so I disappeared for a little while. When I came back, Owen held up his picture and said "Is this how you spell butterfly?"
He had done it all by himself and although it isn't spelled right, I'm in love with this picture! It's the very first word he has sounded out and spelled all on his own....
8 comments:
Great job, Owen!
Lisel, I've been thinking a lot about the whole "drowsy but not sleeping" reasoning about when to put babies down in bed. I've come to the conclusion that it's over-rated. After all, I like those few moments when Clara has finally drifted off in my arms and I can admire her quietly. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there are other parents out there who rock their children to sleep despite all the pressure to raise the child with perfect sleep habits!
Owen, Grandpa and I think your BDRFL is beautiful! We are also amazed at your spelling ability.
As far as the expert sleeping techniques are concerned - well I see two well adjusted little boys who just happen to have a lot on their minds all the time. It is not always easy to turn off the mind and drift off to sleep without some settling time - if that takes rocking until sleep, so be it. I am just glad you have the stamina to faithfully do this first rate nurturing. GG
Wow!! What a mom! I would guess that as long as you don't mind the way those two little guys go to sleep than just enjoy!!! They have to know how well loved they are and as a result become well-adjusted kids.
Owen, I'm so impressed with your many many skills. What a great butterfly!! The spelling isn't perfect but it is equally as great. I'm impressed. The spelling is almost as good as Uncle Bill's!!!
Oops!!! I forgot to sign my name!!
Auynt Carol
Oops!!! I forgot to sign my name!!
Aunt Carol
You are not alone in the sleep thing! Sophia will not go to sleep unless she is being held - well, that is if I am home. If its just David - he can get her to lay in the crib without having to be in the room! And she falls asleep. What is that about? We just transitioned her into a big-girl bed -- with plenty of room for me to lay down nest to her... now if I can just stop falling asleep too..
Lisel - I would have to say that there are no steadfast "rules" for naptime...it's what works for the family and your family is amazing! Owen - what can we say but wow! What a beautiful and creative picture - it is exactly what you say it is! We love you...Aunt Kirstie and Uncle Joe
I'm IMPRESSED, Owen!
Lisel, we're big followers of Dr. Ferber over here. (Seeing as Aran is co-director of the sleep center at our local hospital, I defer to him on all things sleep.) I wondered for a while if there would ever come a day when Orli would just go to sleep without crying. And lo, that day came. Eventually.
Now she just snuggles up to her bear, says "love you" and falls right to sleep. I'm happy to be one of those women you wonder about! Yay!
Post a Comment