Thursday, June 05, 2008

"I turn"

One of the biggest challenges with raising two kids is learning how to negotiate the push and pull of shared toys. Elliot wants to do whatever Owen is doing, of course, and play with whatever toy Owen is playing with. Lately this house has been a constant refrain of me saying "Elliot's turn! ok, now Owen's turn!" and vice versa. We've been trying to teach Owen to be patient with Elliot because Elliot can't use his words quite yet and frequently resorts to screaming as the surest way to get what he wants. Everyone gets frustrated when the screams start flying...



However, things are improving! We were in the back yard playing with a yoga block (Elliot found it -- unused, gathering dust --in the back of the hall closet and immediately decided it was the best toy ever created and he's been playing with it non-stop since then) and we were facing another "Elliot's turn! Owen's turn" squabble when Elliot said "I turn!!!!" It sounded more like "I toad" but we knew what he meant and we gave the yoga block to him pronto!!!!!!!!



There will come a time when they fight their own fights and resolve (or not) their own squabbles, but for now I'm holding steady in a kind of referee/ interpreter/translator/judge mode.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisel, just so that you know your family is quite normal. Mick and Lisa's little Emma is around 20 months and she figures her way of getting things coming her way (with the competition of 3 other siblings) is to just scream---bloody murder if that is what it takes to get attention. Lisa has said how very loud Emma is!! I know one thing she will never be left out!!! :-) Have fun! Those are two cute little boys.

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you recorded this little episode. It is so funny to the outsider (us reading the account), but I also know the frustration of the moment. Sounds like Elliot is being forced to get his words up to speed for self preservation. I love it! GG