Monday, June 23, 2008

Little Man

Summer is finally here! Yay!

We went to the beach this morning. And got very sandy and very dirty and very salty. Elliot ingested about a pound of sand because it is truly impossible to keep sand out of the snack bag of crackers and grapes. Crunchy, gritty grapes. Yummy!

Owen ventured quite far out into the waves and even gulped down a mouthful of seawater. For those of you who know him, that is a truly great achievement. I think he is starting to really relish turning 5 (in only 2 weeks) because it is giving him a good reason to try new things and venture out of his cautiousness.

Then, this afternoon Owen had his 5 year doctor's appointment. Before we went in he looked me in the eye and said very seriously "I'm not going to cry, Mom". Well, ok then! He did cry just a little though when they gave him his shot, but before long he stopped and was very excited that he hadn't cried for that long. As we left the doctor's office, we had a good conversation about crying. I told him that it's definitely ok to cry when you are hurt or scared or worried, sometimes you just need to let it out. The important thing is that you know how to calm yourself down when it happens. We talked about taking deep breaths, and stopping to think about how you are feeling and why you are feeling that way. I think he's starting to see how much more mature he is than Elliot and likes the idea that he can do all these things that Elliot can't do...

Then we had to run an errand after the doctor's appointment, so I took Owen to the bathroom. He saw the sign for the Men's room and said "Oh, Men's room!" I said, "Well, since I'm here with you we need to go in the Women's room". And he said "I can do it by myself, you know." "Oh, ok", I said, "you can go to the boys room if you like". "MEN's ROOM, Mom!" he corrected me.

Of course, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owen, what a gentleman you are getting to be!! I agree with mom, it is alright to cry once in awhile. You are getting so big and so brave. I know the teacher is just going to love you when you get to school!! Most little 5 year old aren't nearly as mature as you!!! I love you Owen!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Melts my heart...
Karen Tamayo