Thursday, June 12, 2008

Midway

Looking back on the week of Dzia Dzia's visit, I realize that while we were certainly busy at the time, in retrospect we didn't do much more than just hang out and play together. Sure, we went to the zoo. Sure, we went to the park. Sure, we had a family dinner in the backyard.... but mostly we just hung out and watched the boys climb all over Dzia Dzia and play silly games with him. The best kind of visit, really!





Our big event was going to the Midway which is parked (docked?) down at the harbor... since my Dad is an ex-army historian, and Owen and Elliot are really into airplanes and boats, and Uncle Joe is a member of the Coast Guard but had never been to this ship -- for all these reasons it seemed like the perfect outing.


Now, I'm no rabid patriot and I find myself cringing at overzealous flag-wavers who declare that America is the BEST! I think there are many things we could improve as a nation not least of which is our military representation around the world (umm, hello oil war?) BUT, I am totally and completely impressed and awed by the men and women who serve in the armed forces. Especially after a visit to a museum like this one where we can see the sacrfices our troops have made to serve our country. It makes me feel very selfish while at the same time sparks a great desire in me to ensure that what they are fighting for is meaningful and worthy.

Anyway, this started as a post about family and has turned into political tract. The point is, it was an eye-opening adventure for our family. Owen was profoundly dedicated to the audio tour guide, slavishly going from stop to stop and it took some doing to convince him that it was ok to miss audio tour stops 29-45 because we didn't have time to visit the second deck! (The place is truly huge and I had completely underestimated the amount of time it would take to visit).


And Elliot was beside himself with joy at seeing the bright yellow airplane parked on the carrier, and all the different aircraft on the flight deck. Plus, being in Dzia Dzia's arms gave him a bird's eye view!!!!


I promise to get the rest of the photos uploaded to Flickr as soon as I can!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time!!! What is scary to me is that Owen probably remembers everything he heard and it won't take long before he will be far smarter than me!!!! Elliot, what a fortunate boy you are to have grandpa take you round and about and telling you all about planes etc. What quality time!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I can see Owen taking it all in. He is amazing! Somehow I can picture him "slavishly" take in the audio. I love the picture of Richard, Elliot and Owen. GG