Friday, April 09, 2010

Have a great day.

This morning I dropped Owen off at school with my daily message: "Give me a kiss! I love you, Owen! Have a great day!" and as he crossed into the school grounds, I thought how I have said that exact thing to him before school so many times already. Preschool, Kindergarten, almost all of First Grade. I say nearly the exact thing to him every single day. And, I will continue to say it for at least the next 11 years of his schooling. And longer. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

The recognition of that comfortable, sweet repetition this morning made me all warm and fuzzy inside. And it reminded me of the hundreds -- if not thousands -- of times I have sung Brahms's lullaby to my boys as they drifted off to sleep over the years of naps and bedtimes. Years and years of singing that song and I never grow tired of it, either.

Although I say "I love you" to my kids all the time, I don't say it enough to the other people I love. I want to change that.

Mom and Dad, thank you for singing me lullabies at night and saying "I love you, have a great day, Lisel!" to me over the years. Although I haven't thanked you enough for it, know that I'm sending Owen and Elliot into their adult years with the same care and love you shared with me when I was young. I love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie, thank you for being such a wonderful mom to your adorable kids. And I do love you, great big bunches, and hope you have a wonderful day!

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Now that we have met your children it will be fun following your blog of their adventures and your thoughts about them. They are two different personalities but both adorable. Enjoy this time of their lives as it all goes so quickly.

Love,
Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

Thank you for loving your boys and thank you for love to all of us. You are a great blessing to us. The boys will remember just as you remember and all of your efforts will have huge consequences. Some of my most tender memories of Owen and Elliot is also rocking them to sleep and singing lullabies to them. Oh the sweet surrender of slumber. GG

Anonymous said...

This is precious!! You can't tell them enough that you love them so they really really believe it when they get to be teenager! I love you Lisel!

Aunt Carol