The other day we missed our morning walk to school due to a little threatening raincloud and -- to be honest -- the fact that we were running very, very late. However, since we live in San Diego, the raincloud quickly moved off and by the afternoon the sky was blue, the sun was shining and the sidewalk was already dry and warm. So Elliot and I decided to walk down the hill to pick up Owen.
And when I say walk, I mean Elliot ran at full speed, spending more time in the air than on the ground, imitating a klipspringer, bouncing from the ball of his foot with each stride, his torso braced like superman. As I tried to keep up with him, I marveled at his wildness, his apparent lack of fear when it came to gravity, or potential stumbles, or errant jetsam from the trees that might lead his foot to slide out from under him. He didn't hold back at all, running at the peak of his speed regardless of the incline of the hill.
Although it terrified me, I also found myself feeling a little relieved that he could feel this wild abandonment and excitement. I wondered how long it's been since I've run downhill. Granted, I get my running downhill adrenaline in different ways. (Say, by getting onstage in front of hundreds of people while speaking words that are not my own). But the concerns and cares and responsibilities of adulthood can be debilitating sometimes, and it's important to remember that somewhere inside us all is that 3 year old version of ourselves running downhill.
3 comments:
You have nailed it completely in your description of Elliot flying down that hill! He does remind you of a little antelope. How DOES he keep his balance on the tips of his toes at that speed? I marveled at his graceful form and his speed last week when we did our tour around the complex grounds. He ran with total abandon and I, too, found myself challenged to keep up with him. I don't believe he knows how to "stroll" or at least never considers it as an alternative to toe bouncing. You have to love that child!! GG
Energy to burn- and boy, does he ever! Truly don't know how you kept up with him, as that is one steep hill! And you're right - for some people the notion of speaking in front of others would be a scary adrenaline rush. For you, just keeping up with those two spitfires is more than enough adrenaline!
Nana Liana
Oh, my, I can picture the whole scene!!! When Elliot puts all of that energy to good use he is going to be a real asset to this world!!! I can just picture that whole scene!!!! I just don't think I can move quite that fast anymore---not that I wouldn't like to!!! Elliot we love you! Lisel you do an absolute wonderful job of describing that young man! :-) :-) That gave me smiles for the day!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment