Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wholly Unoriginal

I got sucked into the rabbit hole. I took a few days off from blogging and just enjoyed my morning coffee while browsing some of my favorite creative/mommy/family/art blogs on the web (some of which are linked to the right in the sidebar marked "My Blog List") and quickly became lost in the blog universe. The problem with blogging, for me, is that it makes me feel wholly unoriginal. I share what I think are really fun, great stories about how I spend my days with my two boys, and then find that it has all been done elsewhere, and done better. The writing is better, the photographs are richer, the stories are more clever. So, I find myself simultaneously filled with envy and inspiration as I continue clicking links and clicking more links and finding new spots to while away my precious few minutes in front of the computer.

All of this wreaks havoc on my nascent creative urges.

There is nothing like a pre-editor (a self who edits before the words are even out) to stifle every last one of your creative urges. However, I've decided that I am just going to admit to the blog universe that I know I am unoriginal but I kind of don't care.

There are no new stories, only new story tellers.

So, today, I'll leave you with a few anecdotes that would fit right into the cliche filled universe of Bill Cosby's "Kids Say the Darndest Things).

From Elliot this week as I told him he could go barefoot if he wanted, he replied "But I want to go shoefoot!".

Unoriginal, but damn cute.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I know what you mean, Lisel. Reading other blogs can really switch on the self editor in me too. But remember that you have people like me who read your blog because we are interested in YOU as a storyteller and care a lot about your family.

I'm really enjoying your commitment to writing--keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Don't EVER consider your writing less than...! You write a brilliant blog, and we all love it. Your word choice, your phrasing, your stories, your photos are perfect as they capture what is going on in YOUR family, not someone else's. Please don't self-edit... we all wish we could write the way you do and I for one, look forward with great anticipation to each and every little tidbit you share with us.

Keep up the brilliant writing!

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

I am totally with Bethany and Nana! I would be sad if you changed your style of writing!! We love it because we know the precious people you are writing about! You do a wonderful job of bringing out the personalities of you family and it charms us to no end! Just be you, Lisel! We love you the way you are! Elliot, I go shoefoot most of the time. I don't like to take the chance of stepping on a thistle or a bee or something like that! :-)

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Well, I am in agreement with all three of the above comments. You have a remarkable talent for painting pictures with your writing and you certainly have some amazing subjects to write about. We are your fans. BTW, I confess I am more of a shoefooted character myself. I had to smile over Elliot's retort, because it sounded so like his father many years ago. On one occassion Paul got the idea that Elmer and I were going out for the evening and Paul popped up brightly and ask, "Are we going to get babysitted?" GG