He has been really into sketching and art lately, so I signed him up for an after school class at a studio in OB called "Young at Art". This woman runs art classes for kids out of her studio/home, and the place is like a warm cozy haven of creativity. You walk in to her living room and pottery pieces are drying on shelves against the wall, original artwork dominates every square inch of her walls and tables, her kitchen is piled high with fresh baked cookies to serve to her young students at snack time, her back yard is filled with paint spattered tables and a corner of the yard holds a potter's wheel and stacks and stacks of clay and molding supplies. One whole room next to her kitchen is simply a mural room. The walls are covered in a room sized mural painted by her students and herself, a continual work-in progress. It's a fabulously stimulating environment and Owen loved it so much. We were both sad to see the class session come to an end.
And the results, well, I'm a little speechless. When I would pick him up after his art class, the teachers routinely commented on how well Owen was doing and remarked on his attention to detail. They really enjoyed having him as a student. And, even though it was only his first session, he was able to get on the potter's wheel and spin his own pieces -- which was an activity usually reserved for the repeating or advanced students.
Last Saturday the studio had a small gallery showing of the student's art work. This was Owen's contribution:
See what I mean? I'm still a little speechless.
7 comments:
This is almost unreal, Owen! I almost started crying! Use this talent God gave you, Owen, to it's fullest! You have a great deal of talent my precious little friend! I just love you so much!
Aunt Carol
What an awesome painting - I'm so impressed! Maybe I can commission Owen to do a painting for his new cousin?! :) Great job and I can't wait to see more. Love you! Aunt Kirstie
Owen, Grandpa and I are also speechless!! I am sitting here gazing at your picture with misty eyes. Your painting is absolutely beautiful and you are a precious treasure to us. We love you so much. GG
Owen, you drew Percy years ago in a very Picasso-like style, and now look how far you've come! This is amazing work, and we are all so proud of you! Keep it up, you definitely have a wonderful talent!
Hugs, Nana Liana
I'm alerting our curators to leave some room on the walls of the galleries. Surely, your art will have a place in the Museum's contemporary collections one day. Well done, lad!
Dick N.
How old is Owen? If he is painting this well at his tender age, think what is ahead. Amazing for his age.
Aunt Joan
LOVE IT! It looks like it was done by a high school freshman who is the best in the class! How exciting to have such nascent talent. Yeah Owen!
Post a Comment