I don't believe in teaching my kids euphemisms for their body parts, and I'm all for accuracy and honesty when it comes to explaining what it means to be a human being. But, yesterday I found myself stuck in a simplicity spiral on this very topic.
Elliot: Mommy, can guys make babies in their tummies?
Me: No, only women can.
Owen: Why?
Me: Well, it's kind of complicated but I'll tell you as simply as I can.... (here I gulped silently to myself and wondered if I had the vocabulary at the ready for them). Men have a seed inside them--
Owen: A seed? Do you mean like a seed in a garden?
Me: Yes, like a seed in a garden. And in that seed is part of what makes a baby grow. Now, this is going to sound odd, but women have eggs inside them. (Owen and Elliot looked at me dubiously) and when the seed plants in the egg, a baby starts to grow in the mommy's tummy.
Owen: But how does the seed get inside the egg?
(Here I started madly calculating in my head exactly how accurate I needed to be at this moment. Luckily I was pulling into our driveway at this time, so I parked the car and turned to face them in the backseat).
Me: Well, it's something that happens when a man and woman love each other very much and decide to mate and be partners.
Owen: (nodding his head thoughtfully) So, it's when you are an adult.
Me: Yeah, you have a long time before that happens -- once you're a big guy and you meet the right person-- like when Daddy met Mommy--
Elliot: (interrupting) I want to grow up and be a big guy!!!!!!
That's as far as we got before they started talking about ice cream and cookies and then we went up into the house for homework, chores and dinner.
Simple and (mostly) accurate. They are only 3 and 6 year old after all. I'm wondering, though, how long it will be before I'll need to explain the rest of it...
4 comments:
Well done! We use the correct words for bodies, for the boys anyway. Hence loud comments in public places "MY SCROTUM REALLY ITCHES!"
Remember the play we did- Bible? Wasn't it all about that seed? You were so funny as the mother...
This is priceless!! You carried it off with a great deal of aplomb. Those teaching moments can come up at the most unexpected times. Chances are good that there will be more opportunities and chances are you will also carry those opportunities off with aplomb as well. Good job. GG
This is priceless!! You carried it off with a great deal of aplomb. Those teaching moments can come up at the most unexpected times. Chances are good that there will be more opportunities and chances are you will also carry those opportunities off with aplomb as well. Good job. GG
Lisel, I love you! You did a great job!!! What a riot! I'm sure Owen will be back sooner than later! His mind is so sharp and for sure he will process this quickly and have more questions! Bless you! Being accurate goes a long way--at least you won't have to back pedal some day and tell them that what you said wasn't true!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment